[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shocking - Carers UK Forum

Shocking

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I couldn't believe this when I read it..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... aired.html
I saw this in the Mail on Sunday Fin, and like you was shocked - especially by the Court of Protection's assumption that anyone applying for guardianship is automatically 'on the take'. It seemed to me that it is the Court of Protection that is the one 'on the take' with the fees they have the temerity to charge !

Thankfully my Mum drew up an Enduring Power of Attorney whilst her Alzheimer's was in the very early stages so we will not have this problem. It only goes to prove that powers of attorney are very important and should be done as early as possible.
The new Lasting Power of Attorney is much more expensive than the now defunct Enduring Power of Attorney.

We've not yet bitten that particular bullet, although we're going to have to soon: it's the initial outlay that's scary, especially as we've just gone down the Court of Protection route for Mike - what a (pricey) palaver!
Crikey! I didn't realise there was such a thing. Which worries me. My mother is losing her short term memory and is getting worse, both with looking after herself and preparing meals, etc. .....the problem is, she won't admit there is anything wrong with her......there is no way would she sign a 'power of attorney' type document! Image
Pamela - when we did this for my Mum she was also of the opinion that she didn't have a problem. However we got round that by explaining to her how much easier it would be if she ever did become incapable. Also until it is 'registered' it has no legal validity but does prove 'intention'.
We've just put up some info about power of attorney on our website which some of you might find useful.
www.carersuk.org/Information/Makingdeci ... onesbehalf
Have had a sheit day and l now read this cannot sleep are we alll loosing the battle against this stealing and pilfereing governmental legitimised stealing from the innocent.

kenneth2duneenow fife
Crikey! I didn't realise there was such a thing. Which worries me. My mother is losing her short term memory and is getting worse, both with looking after herself and preparing meals, etc. .....the problem is, she won't admit there is anything wrong with her......there is no way would she sign a 'power of attorney' type document! Image
Same with my Mum, she wont admit shes losing her memory etc but she certainly is! I know have to write down what time we are going out etc or she forgets, its mentally draining sometimes
When STAN was very ill just 1 year before he passed away the social worker said i was looking after him at home and did not want him in care / rest home as he was my " cash cow"
hang on said me in 1997 when i gave up work i was earning top money i was earning more then the director of metro services and this fact was actualy mentioned in an audit commission report =she made her comment in 2005 8 years after i started looking after him if i wanted his cash or an easy life would i have packed up work for £48 a week what a joke she was
That's awful george.
I've never really thought about it but I'd hate to be in that position, I mean, we're all trying to do our best aren't we.
How awful!

marie x