[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Select Committee on Work and Pensions Fourth Report 2008 : OUR BIBLE , Also Our Jailer ! Time For A Jailbreak ? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Select Committee on Work and Pensions Fourth Report 2008 : OUR BIBLE , Also Our Jailer ! Time For A Jailbreak ?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Well it SHOULD be available printed, for any carer.
I have a high speed laser printer, and wear glasses. I printed off the first few pages, then realised that lots of it when printed is in a Font size of about 6. Far too small.
I especially wanted to see if Direct Payments were mentioned, went to the Index, the link isn't working!!
So clearly they were hoping we wouldn't be able to read or use it properly?!?!
Direct Payments ?

Still in the embryo stage at that time ... GREEN PAPER Carers Strategy thread contains a first hand account of discussions
with the DWP on the proposed rollout and a briefing paper from CarerWatch ( DPs given the treatment ) :

PAGES 3 + 9 :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... en%20paper

( Note ... all CarerWatch at that time ... nothing from either CUK nor Carers Trust. )

Best history recap on the Internet :

https://www.independentliving.org/docs2 ... yment.html

For a real heavyweight analysis of DPs , the following is the bible :

https://disability-studies.leeds.ac.uk/ ... Pfinal.pdf

27 pages worth in .pdf format.
Interesting ... barely a murmur from the forum.

The one definitive document that explains fully why 7.8 million of you are in such dire straits.

Oh well , I can only do so much.
Time to get this one back into the frame.

After all , it is the MOST IMPORTANT report ever produced in our history.

A sticky perhaps ... after the 4th. time of asking ???
A nudge for a sticky ?

NOW , EIGHTH TIME OF ASKING.
I went to a recent event in London, which was addressed by the latest CEO of Carers UK. Her focus was entirely on getting carers "back to work". Cosying up to DWP.
I was infuriated beyond words. There are many of us unable to work at all. What about us? I may be over 65, so I get the pension. I don't get ANYTHING for the caring I provide. Personally, I think carers over 65 should get CA and the pension as well. We may qualify for the "retirement" pension but are certainly not retired. I recently did a straight 168 hour week so my son could do something he wanted to do, that wasn't possible with his "providers".
Her focus was entirely on getting carers "back to work".

One has to wonder just what CUK's priorities are ???

Supporting OUR needs or keeping us under control ... to be seen but ... definitely NOT heard ?

Since 2009 , not even a even odds bet !

One of CUK's trustees posted on the forum recently ... brave lass ?

What does she and her cohorts make of all this ???

Just how are we members being heard by the CUK of 2019 ???

What's the point of having members in the first place ???

9th. request ... please make this thread a sticky !!!
bowlingbun wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:22 pm
I went to a recent event in London, which was addressed by the latest CEO of Carers UK. Her focus was entirely on getting carers "back to work". Cosying up to DWP.
I was infuriated beyond words. There are many of us unable to work at all. What about us? I may be over 65, so I get the pension. I don't get ANYTHING for the caring I provide. Personally, I think carers over 65 should get CA and the pension as well. We may qualify for the "retirement" pension but are certainly not retired. I recently did a straight 168 hour week so my son could do something he wanted to do, that wasn't possible with his "providers".
What does she mean by that? I wonder how she is going to achieve that. I agree with her but she needs to be more practical. All carers should have access to education and training opportunities that basically enable them to have their own life.
I work full time outside the home as a self employed childcare provider. It is what I love doing. And it keeps me fit and sane too. My life is not just about his medical appointments, therapy sessions etc.
A New Year's resolution ?

Hardly ... just to get this thread back into the forefront of ANY decision making this year.