[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Education - Carers UK Forum

Education

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Please can anyone help or advise me, as I am new to my caring role and have had to give up my employment and claim welfare benefits which is carers allowance and income support. I wish to do a part time course, to keep my mind active while not working but would this affect any welfare benefits which we are claiming at the moment does anyone know?
Hello Ian.
You cannot do a fulltime course, but not certain how many hours you can do. I am sure someone will be along here soon to let you know.
You can always phone the Carers UK helpline,as they will probably be able to advise you.[/code]
Please can anyone help or advise me, as I am new to my caring role and have had to give up my employment and claim welfare benefits which is carers allowance and income support. I wish to do a part time course, to keep my mind active while not working but would this affect any welfare benefits which we are claiming at the moment does anyone know?
You can do 16 hours per week hope this helps im a part-time student
Thank you everyone for your input.
Ian, be careful to make sure that the course is advertised as part time, or it won't work. The government just won a case against a carer doing less than 16 hours a week. Apparently the college advertised the course as full time, so it was treated as full time. And a judge agreed so the law has effectively changed because of that judge's interpretation and the DWP have pounced on it, sending out announcements to all "decision makers".
I think it depends on what level of course you want to do. I know somebody who is on benefits and doing a 3-year degree course with the Open University. In that case the course is free and there is help with course materials such as a laptop. So possibly if you check out the website and ring the OU you may find there is more assistance available and they have a finance advice department
Thank you Audrey firstly that is very nice and so very true.

I was thinking on maybe doing a Post-Graduate qualification through the OU, would the same still qualify?
I believe the rules for the OU have changed - the person I mentioned is doing a B.Sc Hons but it is a first degree for her. They will be very helpful if you contact them. I never had a chance to go to university when I was young so after retirement I completed a BA at the University of South Africa and then completed the MA at the OU (finishing a couple of years ago). I did find the fees a bit daunting though! I would have loved to carry on to a doctorate but there was no convenient large library nearby for research - and I did find I had to spend 3 hours five days a week to keep on top of the dissertation part of the MA if I wanted good percentages.
I've been looking into this myself and found the direct.gov website quotes 21 hours of study are the cut off point. Is this not correct?
Resulting from a Court of Appeal judgement, where a course is defined as full-time the number of hours of study is no longer calculated, therefore if the "full-time" course is for less than 21 hours the claimant is now deemed to be in full-time rather than part-time education and is not entitled to CA, the Decision Makers Guidance is here:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-38-10.pdf