[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
schools. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

schools.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
It seems we want children nowadays to grow up with cares and worries almost from birth.
Childhood should be carefree and happy;singing, laughing,education,love,sleep and good food,plus family celebrations.
It should be a RIGHT.

George, I had not taken in all that you wrote.In my family's case, it was one of the young Carers himself, who died.
Rhys had an award too, when he was younger, for being a young Carer as well as coping with his own Diabetes. I was so proud of how he managed. If I could wind the clock back, then we would have done a few things differently, and I would have been more demanding with support from others, so that I could give my younger two children more of me, their mother.
I am appalled at the stories of some young carers. Surely this is a child protection issue as social workers like to say. Why are these kids being used as slaves? I helped look after my sister when I was a kid but I wouldn't have called myself a carer- I had to help out with all my younger siblings- quite normal in big families and not detrimental in any way. What appalls me is hearing of kids giving personal care to their adult parents and having all the home responsibilities thrust on them. gherschel is right- it is like Victorian times.
Many young Carers do not want to be identified as such in front of schoolfriends. That makes them even more different.
My children were not the main Carers. There are some youngsters who have nobody else,and it cannot do any good for them, but we also need to understand they are very afraid of being separated from their Disabled family member,perhaps also feeling that they are letting their caree down in some way.
The support my younger two got from secondary school was non-existant, and our Welsh Assembly Member,who agreed with me that there should be some support for young Carers in place, went up to chat to the Headteacher. Nothing changed though, the school would accept no responsibility sadly.
I think Maxi, that a discussion page for young Carers, where they could be anonymous, may be a good idea, they could let off steam and maybe,like ourselves, find out where to get support. But they do need to know that they will not be identified,otherwise they may not talk freely.
often,too often,we only hear of the burden of caring on the shoulders of a young person when theres some awfull failure in social service support,tedious,ass-covering,internal reports follow,thenmaybe,so-called independant enquiries,then the resulting report lists the errors,and assures us "Lessons have been learned". then it all happens again a couple of years later.

i started this thread with a question.i wanted to know if schools offered young carers help.
the school knows the child,or should do,so can help,can see if theres problems.well,i hope they can.

early intervervention,help,support can be vital.the school can pick-up-on early signs of problems.i wondered do they?.

i wonder too,if carers uk go into schools to raise awarness,do carers uk and NSPCC work together to help young carers?.
Maxi, our local Princess Royal Young Carers support group worked with our local comprehensive schools, but from talking to other parents, it does not appear to have changed anything.
For example, I know one family where one child has autism. His routine has to be the same, every morning, and it always makes his brother late for school by five or ten minutes. The brother is penalised, even though the school is aware of the reason.It would be no good changing the clocks, as there is every likelihood that the autistic brother will see another clock during the day, and become agitated, causing other problems. (it wasn't a problem in the junior school as the school was nearer to get to).
My own younger son was in the playground one day, lined up to go back into school(junior school at the time), and my elder son, with Downs Syndrome, came over and kicked him for no reason. The teacher went to tell Ben off, and Rhys, my younger son said,"Don't do that Miss, he is my brother, and I love him."It is very hard all round, to know just how to help youngsters,who, above all, love the person they care for very much.
ok.i must admit it breaks my heart.i must admit that i,though now long in the tooth,and a carer,was,at school,a carer too.too painfull to go into detail,even now.my education was blighted and ive been trying to make-up for that ever since,if i stop,if i think of it,ill just get too sad.
but i hate the very thought of children being blighted like i was.
i really hoped things were now more enlightened in schools.