[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Saints or scroungers - should we? - Carers UK Forum

Saints or scroungers - should we?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I need your opinions please!!

Carers Uk has been approached again by the BBC TV show Saints or Scroungers. Last year they asked us to get involved and we said no because we find the title of the show so offensive. We think that people who claim benefits are people - they are not saints and they are not scroungers, they are people.

Now they have approached us again and it is a BBC daytime show that attracts 2 million viewers. They want to feature a carer and want to highlight that so many people do not see themselves as carers and do not claim the benefits they are entitled to.

Last series charities that did take part to highlight their work were Admiral Nurses and Citizen's advice. We do not normally turn down the chance to reach 2 million with a positive message about carers but we are struggling to get past that offensive programme title.

So what do you think? Have any of you seen the show? Should Carers UK be associated with this show?

Quick answers appreciated!

Matt
How much editorial control do you or the family concerned have? Very little if any, so, in view of the title and the inferred intent of the programme, I would be wary of agreeing. And even if carers are portrayed as saints do we really want to be set up to be contrasted with other claimants defined as sinners, people's circumstances are rarely as straight-forward as the media like to suggest?
The problem we have the world is full of "saints & scroungers" i know of one person who receives carers allowance and his father is on D.L.A. they have a motability car which the son uses for his "part time job" .....
I know some of you will say i should report him to the D.W.&.P. but?????

i dont class myself as a saint, but. i gave up a well paid job in 1997 when i was earning over £30k per year £30k way back then , all for what a small occupational pension and £40 odd quid per week ... to care for an elderly disabled parent within 4 years i was looking after both parents ... saving the state thousands on my own and as we all know carers save the N.H.S billions year on year..

Many carers like myself now care for elderly disabled war veterans not just WW2 but from 50`s 60`s 70`s .....

I would not personally get involved .. if carersuk do get involved you must get your retaliation in first, make it clear that there is a very small minority of carers / disabled who will take advantage of the benefits system , but i hope you can get the point over that if you are on the fiddle carers allowance at £53 per week is not enough for a dog to live on....

again you must make it clear that the state grant the benfits to the disabled and they should put in place checks to make sure that the claimants are in fact disabled , in my case the old doll has since 1995 been in front of 11 medical boards , 6 resulted in an independant doctor medically examining her to assess her level of disability, if the M.OD. can do it why not the D.W.& P. ......
The DWP already do this George. They have employed a company called ATOS Medical to assess claimants of ESA and Incapacity Benefit. This usually involves a medical proffesional ,not always a doctor deciding in the space of 20 minuttes whether someone is ill or disabled enough to recieve said benefits. In fact a few months ago Macmillan nurses and Citazens Advice Bureau let out a press release on how unfair and possibly corrupt the medicals are as people with MS and cancer in some cases terminal cancer were being found fit for work and told to sign on for JSA.I would expect to be put straight if i had jumped to an assumption about Carers Allowance so i hope no one minds me doing the same with regards to Incapacity Benefit! I did watch a couple of the saints and scroungers shows last year and i wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them
My view would be to steer clear too.
personal opinion is to avoid at all costs. 2 million viewers IS a great target but you do need the 'right' sort of audience as well as the right sort of programme.
Just the title of this show says a great deal about the angle the producers will put on any stories, and once all the editing has been done, anything 'good' that has been said will be deleted before the programme airs I should think.
Keeping my fingers crossed that a better opportunity will arise soon, but definitely a no-no for this one I think.
personal opinion is to avoid at all costs. 2 million viewers IS a great target but you do need the 'right' sort of audience as well as the right sort of programme.
Just the title of this show says a great deal about the angle the producers will put on any stories, and once all the editing has been done, anything 'good' that has been said will be deleted before the programme airs I should think.
Keeping my fingers crossed that a better opportunity will arise soon, but definitely a no-no for this one I think.
Completely agree with you there.
I did watch a couple of the saints and scroungers shows last year and i wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them
Thanks so much everyone for your comments. Seems a pretty strong NO vote then! As I say our instincts are to say what we said last year, but it is 2 million...Anyone else seen the shows?
I don't know how much this means, but I saw the show advertised and just decided not to watch it - I didn't want to get too upset or angry.....but, I would say, given the choice of the right person to put over exactly what it's like to be a carer, then, why not? It's like cutting off our noses to spite our faces by saying no, just because of a title.
me to i`ve changed my mind , take part and be damned but make sure we have someone who can fight our corner for us .....