[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Respite - Guardianship - Carer's assessment? - Carers UK Forum

Respite - Guardianship - Carer's assessment?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi,
Do you need to have a guardianship order in place in order to have a carer's assessment in order to access respite?
Thanks x.
Anyone? Or let me phrase the question another way, have any of you had a carer's assessment done, been entitled to respite and you do not have Guardianship over the person that you care for?
I don't actually have an answer to this one Zoe, but I can't see that access to respite or a Carers Assessment should or could be dependent on a guardianship order.

I think that the Carers UK Adviceline is probably better based to answer your question -

tel: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

As the telephone lines are generally oversubscribed it's usually better to email them.
Thanks, I have emailed my local carers center, so hopefully will get a reply for them. I don't see how it can be, as not all carers are caring for someone that doesn't have capacity, but they surely must be entitled to a break? I've never taken a carers break before, or had a carers assessment done, but at the last three meetings I've had with my daughter's social worker have said that I need a break, but today was told that I need the guardianship in place in order to get funding.
Hi Zoe,
I have had a carer's assessment and been told that the LA will support 2 weeks of respite for my mum in order for me to have a break. Now whether my EPOA or Mum's being able to consent has anything to do with it I don't know. However 'guardianship' was never mentioned.
I'm speculating here but I can only assume that perhaps if your daughter cannot consent to Respite and you do not (?) have any legal right to enforce it, because she is an adult and you are no longer her guardian as such, you have to gain that right first.
However there is also no legal reason why you have to care for your daughter (I'm talking legal only here), you could call SS, say you are taking a break and this vulnerable adult needs care. You'd have to judge what effect that might have on you and your daughter.
Hope the help line here can give you better advice and I hope you get that break.
Elaine
Carers assessment and support are NOT dependent on guardianship of any kind. Nor is Carers Allowance. All you have to do is walk the walk.
Imagine for example that you are caring for your incontinent physically disabled husband who is perfectly mentally capable - why should he have to let you take over his financial affairs just so you can get a break ?

Of course, if he doesnt want you to take a break, then the correct legal instrument is called a divorce. B) :lol:
In a desperate attempt to save money, my LA seems to be inventing rules to restrict services as they go along. I'm now asking for copies of decisions being made in relation to Direct Payments, and no one can tell me when the decisions were made, who made them, when, where, and what exactly the regulations said!!! Call their bluff, and ask for details as I have. Also ring Carers UK's helpline. They made me £50 a week better off, so I'm always happy to sing their praises!
I'm going to try to get into my local carer's center and what the rules are, because I am getting nowhere, the only result from any meeting I have is to have another meeting!! Next one in 8 weeks, I told them yesterday that I was really struggling, totally exhausted and stressed out, needed a break. I was told that I needed to get the guardianship in place then they could look at it, surely that can't be the case? What happens in the meantime, just get on with it I suppose, but when you are quite literally begging for help, and still faced meeting the daily needs of my daughter, something has got to give.
Does mum live with you? How old is she? Did you know that you CANNOT be forced to care? As mum is over 18 you have no legal responsibility for her whatsoever, maybe SSD need to be reminded of this? Some forum members have ended up writing to SSD and saying that they are going away on a certain date, and that they won't therefore be able to care for their parent. SSD have the responsibility to protect vulnerable adults.
It's not my mum, it's my daughter that I care for, she is 21.