[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Reply from MP...Groan - Carers UK Forum

Reply from MP...Groan

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I wrote to my MP - Laurence Robertson, Tewkesbury (Con) - about my struggles to even get inside the door of my local jobcentre . Turned away 3 times - no interview with adviser and New Deal guy sent me away etc. All said they don't help carers.

MP replies "I am sorry you are having this problem. It is not uncommon. I will look into the matter and see if I can help in any way."

IT'S NOT UNCOMMON? If it's not uncommon, why hasn't he raised the issue before? I had asked him in my email to either raise it in the H of C or help me take it to the ombudsman. Am I being cynical in thinking that by his saying it's not uncommon, it lets him off the hook for taking it to the ombudsman for me? If not, it is appalling if this is a common occurrence and Mps are just sitting by thinking "hmmmm....interesting...."

If it's common for carers to be turned away from jobcentres when they should be getting help, someone should be doing something. Why aren't you raising this in the H of C, Mr. Laurence, like I specifically asked?

This MP, by the way, is the one whose email was leaked to the press..the one where he said he did not intend to become personally poorer when he challenged proposed changes to Mps expenses. This is in the press - it's not my personal allegation. From a very angry Cherish.
Matt, can you please tell me if Carers UK have any stats or info on how 'common' my experience is (ref the MP's quote that it is 'not uncommon')? Thanks. Cherish.
Sorry Cherish I don't.

You're certainly not the only one, we have calls about it sometimes to the CaersLine, but that's just anecdotal - hard to make any defintet judgements on how widespread. The hard thing is most people will just accept it and walk away. So we'd not find out about it. So it's very difficult to say. My gut feeling, based on calls and letters from carers, is that ignorance is widespread amongst JCplus staff when it comes to carers - but I can;t prove it.

For your MP to say it's not uncommon, I assume they may be referring to other constituents? Or they just be using language they think is sympathetic, but without actually having the stats to back it up?
hanks Matt. My issue now is that the MP, if he's heard this from other constituents, should have already acted on this and have some info to give me on how he's dealt with previous constituents in the same position.

He also says "I will look into the matter and see if I can help in any way".

Note the word "if".....

I would have expected him to say "I'll take this up with .... and get back to you" or "This is what I'm going to do about it.."

In my opinion, an MP making sympathetic noises means nothing. If he acts and does something, that shows he is bothered about it. All MP s are going to say they sympathise etc ... it's doing something about it that shows you really sympathise.

Do I now just accept that I can't access help at the jobcentreplus? It's a point of principle to me. If the Jobcentre managers are equally unwilling to help carers (when they should be), something is really wrong.
I realise I am communicating with myself on this!!

My MP is a bit annoyed with me..

I wrote back " I am quite shocked to hear you say this is quite common. Have you raised this before, if it so common? Please advise me how you will look into this."

MP " Yes I have looked into this before but I do not have the power to instantly change things."

Ooh.

I asked him to look into it... noone asked him to instantly change things. Is that a facetious and fractious reply or what?
I am reading it, I just do not know what to say, it is so damned hypocritical, the government wants carers to combine work and caring, wants carers to be work-ready for a time when work will again be a possibility and yet when you try to access help it simply is not there, it makes me really angry. I could give you a rant in reply, cherish Image .
I am reading it too. Just can't think of anything to say.
You could write back to your MP, cherish, and tell him that his reply is so inadequate it has left people literally speechless.
I, too, am gobsmacked with his response. Maybe we should all send him an email and tell him what we think.

http://www.laurencerobertsonmp.com/

He voted strongly for the Iraq war so he must be an ***hole.

Try a Liberal MP.
I realise I am communicating with myself on this!!

My MP is a bit annoyed with me..

I wrote back " I am quite shocked to hear you say this is quite common. Have you raised this before, if it so common? Please advise me how you will look into this."

MP " Yes I have looked into this before but I do not have the power to instantly change things."

Ooh.

I asked him to look into it... noone asked him to instantly change things. Is that a facetious and fractious reply or what?
He sounds like a bit of a twit. The impression you give of him in your post is that he doesnt give a toss about carers issues.

I hope he gets voted out at the next election.