[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Refusing to Eat and Drink - Carers UK Forum

Refusing to Eat and Drink

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I'm reaching the stage of desperation getting Mum to eat, now even getting her to drink is becoming a task.

It's been going on for over two weeks, our GP is involved and says Mums latest stroke has taken away her "will" to eat, basically telling me I have to sit and watch Mum fade away in our home.

Today she's had a few glasses of coke, a cup a soup but nothing solid, the day before Mum managed one mouthful of toast along with a few glasses of coke. I had to tighten the strap on her watch today as it was hanging loose!

Has anyone else witnessed behaviour like this after a stroke? I don't believe people telling me Mum's lost the will to live, we still have very good moments together, she still gives me a big smile and gets excited when we watch a film together.

The icing on the cake is Mums speech was affected by her original stroke in 2010, so it's not just simply a matter of asking whats wrong.
Hi Stephen. My mum had a stroke in May 2015.Back home since last April 2016. And I'm her full time carer. she eats and drinks well, but find things hard sometimes. Each person is different
Hi Stephen,
Has your Mum's ability to chew and swallow been assessed by a speech therapist. It nay be that she is finding it more difficult since her last stroke. Google dysphasia for ideas on foods she might find easier.

Melly1