[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Reading books to/with children - Carers UK Forum

Reading books to/with children

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Not carer related but curious to how members here feel about reading and children. I dont watch much tv but early this morning on one of the breakfast shows I caught a bit wherein they were discussing reading to children.

I loved this when my girls were little, it was a special part of any day not just bedtimes. Visiting local library, buying books, was a big part of their childhood.
I LOVE reading. My three children were all different in their outlook on books. Ben loved books from the moment he could first touch them,and he never looked at cardboard ones, he always loved ladybird books.Rhys didn't have any interest in books until he could read himself. Katie preferred to be read to.
A big part of our lives.
My mother made me buy "proper" books with birthday tokens,and one year,she made me buy a book called "Villette."I NEVER read it. The price of it could have bought me four Famous Five books,and I really resented my mother making me do that!I vowed that when I had children of my own, I would let them choose their own books.When Katie was about five,she won a competition, and her prize was a book token. She chose a "Where's Wally" book.Oh boy, that was hard, I would have loved her to get something better.But she still remembers the book,and the fun that she, Ben and Rhys had with the book.
I still have my favourite fairy tale book from when I was small.

One of my proudest moments as a parent....I was calling Rhys, couldn't find him anywhere. He was about 7. I went into the kitchen, and he was there, sitting at the breakfast bar, completely absorbed in a Famous Five book and oblivious to the world around.To realise that my child now had the world in his hands,whatever he wanted to know,he could find out,was such a wonderful moment.
My first and favourite book was "The lost baby fairy". I managed to hide it away when books were burned after I had scarlet fever and read it by torchlight in secret under the covers. It is still tucked away safely with my very first teddy bear.

I like real books, paperback or hardback and love in the library when folk put their initials on to say they have read the book, a bit like reader history.

My Dad was the storyteller at bedtime, and he made up stories about my Teddy Bear coming to life and his adventures. I wish he had done more about publishing them.

Take care
Meg
My children are avid readers and book lovers and always have been
Reading to children was the best part of my job when I worked in libraries. Whether it was toddler book time with just a few children and their mums or whole classes (once or twice a whole school)
I loved bringing the stories to life. The best one was a boy who came in with attitude he didn't like books,reading was for pansies, he wasn't going to enjoy it etc etc after his class had left he came back with his teacher could he please borrow the book I had read he wanted to show it to his little brother. The teacher told me afterwards it was the first time he'd shown an interest in anything to do with school Image
Once a child discovers books they haev discovered a whole world out there just waiting for them. I read to my children from they were tiny. We visited the library, raided charity shops, did all the library trails in the summer. I am a bookaholic & they all grew up assuming that reading was a very normal part of anyone's day. There is nothing nicer at the end of a day snuggling up with a child to read a favourite book.

My eldest daughter doesn't really read now but my other daughter & son are bookaholics. My son, aged 14, loves the fantasy worlds with dragons & the Anthony Horowitz stories. he also reads loads of Manga which our library thankfully has in a never ending supply! There are so many wonderful books out there for youngsters - all my old favourites such as Just William, Enid Blyton etc but also great new authors.

Sorry - I could enthuse for hours on reading.....
Books, books and more books are, and have always been, one of the joys of my life Image

I could read 'properly' before I started school, thanks to a much older cousin who was a schoolmaster, and the joy of opening a new book and reading that first sentence has never left me Image

My sister, on the other hand, is dyslexic so books for her are torture. But she has an incredibly fertile imagination and can make up the most spellbinding children's stories. Because of the dyslexia she's never read to her daughters or to her grandchildren but they all adore the stories she tells. I tell her she should dictate them into a dictaphone and I will type them out - I'm sure she could find a new career writing children's stories Image
Love reading not sure on the children, i left my brother to do the children, and now they are grown up, i used to like Peter Rabbit use to know it off by heart, Image
I used to try and read to my kids when they were young, there was never much time but whenever I could, I read to them.

It's a strange thing because it's safe to say our family dynamics have been "eventful" and a lot has happened in the lives of our (now adult) children, much of it not what I would have wanted but then again, it's their lives to live, not mine. Image

They are all adults now, 3 out of the 5 with children of their own and the pattern continues, quite a lot of disruption.

So many things have happened and so much time has passed that as a parent, it is easy to forget quite a lot. My own kids look back on their childhood and remember the stories I used to read and the games we used to play (money was very tight), all for free. Stories such as the Family from One End Street, Leo Possessed (sounds creepy but they loved it!) as well as many others which I can't now recall. Games included sock hunt (winner gets 50p and mum gets all the dirty socks at one time) and hunt the thimble/ping pong ball/whatever object was to hand.

My grandkids love their stories too. My eldest who has just turned 11, stays with us occasionally. I have a book that I bought when she was 2, I got it from Asda for £1.99, it is a big story book.
When she stays that book has to come out and the story has to be read while snuggled up to me.

Simple things, free but giving such wonderful memories. Image
I LOVE books and reading.

When he was younger S and I shared books at bedtime and other times. He always enjoyed reading the words he knew.

He doesn't love reading as much as I do and only reads for a purpose; I think this is partly because it is a challenge to find books for young adults that would interest him, with language at the right level. I also think it is because his main method of communication is through the written word.

Nowadays he prefers non fiction, especially cookery books and the TV schedules!

Melly1
I've always loved reading, my parents always encouraged us to have books and visit the library. My grandmother used to send me books for birthdays and Christmas, I was a fluent reader from an early age, and so was my eldest son. Youngest son has severe learning difficulties, due to brain damage at birth, so can't actually read "properly" but he too has always loved looking at books. We own a steam roller and traction engine, so he likes looking at engine books and identifying which ones he's seen. My first grandson is due in June, and I'm already looking forward to reading Thomas the Tank engine and Ivor the Engine to him. Reading books with children is not just a matter of learning to read, it's a case of having quiet time when you can bond together and have a bit of fun at the same time, encouraging the children to join in, perhaps going baa when there's a picture of a sheep etc. Eldest son gave up reading story books at about the age of 11 - then went on to "Tractor and Machinery" and "Land Rover Owner" instead. He's gone on to be a qualified engineer who has been featured in Land Rover magazines on a number of occasions!