[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Question time, but no question was asked - Carers UK Forum

Question time, but no question was asked

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I went to question time and it's true I found it very bland. we all submited 2 questions and out of 150 people only 7 were chosen. They choose the questions they prefer to be asked. They like questions that are controvertial and make good viewing. questions about carers were not asked whatsoever. I can feel peoples frustration at the gov and i have written 5 letters this week, bombarded the dwp. but why cant we carers march on downing street with one petition and hand it in. If it doesnt achieve a lot it will achieve public awareness. We need a champion for carers who can be interviewed on tv etc and the radio. I'm 54 now and don't relish the thought that when im a pensioner and cant work any more that I wont get carers allowance either, the very time ill need it most . I don't get it now cos I do the awful deed of actually working 17 hours a week. Our future looks so bleak, Anyone out there who wants to do something now for the future. Have a great day, I'm off to work. God bless you all
Carers have marched on Downing Street, in 2009 and 2010, both times supported by CUK, as well as others. Petitions handed in both times and a lobby of MP's in Westminster.
Working doesnt preclude most people from caring, nor from claiming CA.
I have been doing some fine calculations lately, and the secret of success is to claim all the eligible costs. Including respite costs of course.
If you earn above £100 per week and pay tax, you would be crazy not to put some of your excess earnings into a tax free portable pension plan, half of which can be claimed as an expense, along with tax, NI, travel and any other essential work-related costs. So most carers earning less than say £6,000 a year (£500 a month) can still probably claim Carers Allowance and be better off, whilst many of those earning a bit more - even up to £8000 PA can probably claim CA as long as they dont mind losing a bit of their wage for the sake of building a large pension plan.
The secret is all in the small print.