[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Question Time - Carers UK Forum

Question Time

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Evening all, guess who has been invited to be in the audience of Question Time on Thursday. Been told to submit questions for the editor of programme, obviously be about the raw deal we carers have. So feel free to bombard me with topical questions, must be short and to the point!!!!
come on you lot, you have normally got heap loads to say? nobody want to help me
How about why have elderly people who have given so much in their lives, be expected to cope with the closing of Care Homes that they have lived in for years? (Sorry, no specifics) I've just heard that they are having no more residents in the Home that Mother is in for Respite....so, what's happening?
Ask why when ever there is any sort of review , ie budget carers are never mentioned . are we such a grey area that nobody wants to talk about us , all we want is a decient wage and respect .
Why does carers allowance stop when 65 , does that mean I stop carering at this point because I have in the eyes of the government retired !!!
Its best to keep it short and simple:
Do you think people who have given up work to care 35 hours a week or more for their severely disabled relatives or friends are worth more than £53 per week carers allowance, and if so, how much should they receive in support from the State?

QT

Intend on asking Ken Clarke and Paddy Ashdown how they would feel being paid £1.53 per hour, not to mention the 133 hours overtime that is unpaid! Will also be very vocal regarding pensioners whom have caring responsibilities. Keep your ideas coming! greatlly appreciated.
Why does carers allowance stop when 65 , does that mean I stop carering at this point because I have in the eyes of the government retired !!!
Yes, the simple answer is why not? I have already informed my social worker that I plan to quit in eight years time when I reach 65, and her response was to treat my views with respect and improve the package of support to help enable the transition to supported/independent living.
We dont get anywhere in life unless we have clear and just goals, but we always need to keep some wriggle room.
Frankly, my boy will be needing his own place by the time he is in his early-mid twenties, no young person should have to live with their mum and dad indefinitely, it isnt natural.
The unemployed get £60.50 a week for not doing any work and they do not save the government money. Carers receive £53.90 for working at least 35 hours a week and many up to 24/7 to care for their loved one plus they save the government thousands a year in care home fees. Why is this?
Like I have said before we are a grey area out of sight out of mind !!!!