Quality of Meals in Care Homes

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Again, to be perfectly honest, I'm not so worried about whether my mother's meals are "nutritious" (she's managed to reach her mid 90s on a diet typical for her generation) - I would just like them to look and taste appetising!

To give the care home its due, they do keep her supplied with fresh fruit (and I take in the crisps and confectionery!) and the breakfasts and teas aren't bad - I just wish the main meal of the day was something she could look forward to and enjoy.

Not much to ask … is it?
The diet typical of her generation was healthy and nutritious. Only the other day they were talking about the wartime diet being the healthiest in history.

It shouldn't be difficult to make bought in meals look and taste nice.
Can't think of anything to help with the appearance but how about a taking in a selection of condiments to make it taste less bland. My partner is kept supplied with paprika and mayonnaise but there are all sorts of pickles, chutneys, dried herbs and spices and sauces out there. People tend to give older people more bland food when they really need stronger flavours to compensate for their waning senses.
The food served up in Hubby's nursing home is a mixture of looking quite appetising to awful. The Sunday lunch always seems good. Not to how he was used to,( he always enjoyed my Sunday lunch especially, ) but he has forgotten that. Yesterday he had semolina for pud. Looked awful. Even a spoonful of jam would have made a difference. They didn't have any jam?! Other days the puds seem OK. Cake and custard a lot. He will eat it if they don't say its cake and custard, but if they do he says not again Im sick of it. How certain things stick with him. I always take ice cream in. He loves it. Name all over the tub so he can always have some. They can't grumble if I have purchased it. A nice one like carte dor. I also have low salt for him. Told the CQC how it differs.
nhshater wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm
Can't think of anything to help with the appearance but how about a taking in a selection of condiments to make it taste less bland. My partner is kept supplied with paprika and mayonnaise but there are all sorts of pickles, chutneys, dried herbs and spices and sauces out there. People tend to give older people more bland food when they really need stronger flavours to compensate for their waning senses.
I agree, no one in our family travels anywhere without a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce. Just a drop or 2 improves anything
MrsAverage wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:01 pm

I agree, no one in our family travels anywhere without a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce. Just a drop or 2 improves anything
I used to think the same about Marmite: until I tried it in scrambled eggs, the taste was fine, but only a blind person could eat it - closest thing to a babies nappy I've ever seen on a plate. :ohmy:

Another few hours spent at Soton General today, I hate that place more each time I go, eventually found a disabled parking space at the opposite corner of the hospital to where we wanted to be. The disabled spaces that we used to use are now in a staff car park, they were all empty bar one. :roll:

Edit: Apologies to the OP, I thought I was posting in "March Roll Call". :silly:
Hi Ayjay,

Didn't realise you were a fellow sufferer of the Southampton General Experience. I don't think it's possible to hate it any more than I do now. I used to have fantasies of firebombing it for the benefit of everyone in its catchment area.

They try to tell me they're no worse than anywhere else. They are. Much, much worse.

I'd better leave it at that before the thought of them winds me up too much.