[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
psychotic drugs = dementia / alzheimers - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

psychotic drugs = dementia / alzheimers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Whilst it's ok to have differing opinions, we need to remember that any comments we make will be read by others who may be upset or hurt by what we say, especially when we are posting about a highly emotive topic - and even more especially when we, unlike others, are not directly affected by that topic. I may feel that I would not choose a longer life if I had dementia. But I certainly wouldn't say it in front of friends or other carers dealing with the reality of this condition who are going through hell every day. They may not agree and would rightly be upset at an attitude expressed with no direct experience of the tragedy of this awful condition.

Can I ask everyone to consider that before posting?

For the record, on principle I disagree with the chemical cosh unless there is an excellent reason for using it.
I'll second what Charles has said. This is a forum about caring and some of the issues that come up will be ones that evoke very strong feelings. And we will often have very different views and opinions to others. We have to accept that comes with the territory. We also need to think about how our opinions might be viewed by others. The test of a strong community is if we can accept those differences amongst us and move on without fallling out with each other.

Matt
If I was looking after a relative with dementia I would certainly want a chemical cosh to keep them in order if they were giving me a hard time! If it shortens their life so be it!
Sarniajoy, I think you come on this forum to deliberatly upset people with your offensive, unecessary, almost spiteful remarks. You must be a caring person to have adopted your lovely Son. So, whats your problem!

Peter
I am sorry you see my comments as offensive! Where demented patients are concerned surely to goodness you can't have them running amoke at home or in a care home? Something has to be done to calm them down. If their lives are shortened, I don't see that as a bad thing, who wants their relative to live in that state, I certainly wouldn;t and would be praying for their death. If that comment is offensive to you, then I am sorry, but it is the way I see it!
I don't think that your comments are intended to be offensive, Sarniajoy, but I do think that they often show a lack of sensitivity to other's situations and an ignorance of the facts.

For example, dementia sufferers do not "run amoke"(sic), they may wander off, they may be verbally aggressive or, on rare occasions, physically aggressive, but these are normally passing phases as the condition progresses and do not apply to every sufferer, many will become very passive and non-responsive particularly in the final phases when memory even of loved ones has gone.

Dementia is an unpleasant disease, the one I fear most for those I love and myself, and can be frightening when the individual is aware of the loss of memory during the early phases leading to some difficult-to-manage behaviours or the behaviours may be part of the neuro-degenerative process but whatever the cause these are still people who have been somebody's child, somebody's wife, somebody's parent, etc. and who have contributed to society, as such they deserve to be treated with respect and cared for not controlled and not hastened out of this life because we have difficulty dealing with the effect of the disease on the individual and ourselves. I have met and worked with dementia suffers in an institutional setting who have been well cared for and content, I am sure that they would not have appreciated being speedily dispatched.
If I was looking after a relative with dementia I would certainly want a chemical cosh to keep them in order if they were giving me a hard time! If it shortens their life so be it!
I too find your comments very upseting and offensive.
I find the thought of a 'chemical cosh' being used for any disabilty offensive.
My mother in law had dementia.............the fact she had no idea who we were was our problem, not hers.