[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PROTEST - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

PROTEST

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
276 posts
Rosemary wrote:
What about some sort of petition being relayed from as high up in Scotland as possible down to London stopping at some of the bigger towns/cities to be passed on.Cuts costs down dramatically and also each town/city could do a send off.Be accessible to more carers if something locally.Big finale at No 10.?? Hopefully as it progressed so would media interest increase.
I think this could work really well and as Rosemary said would be a way of involving carers who can't get to London.

Good on you George for starting this thread and to others especially Krys for keeping it going - personally I think it would be really heartening if the various boards/forums could work together.

Re proposed motion for CUK's AGM could it be worded in a way that asked not only if CUK would organise a protest but if not would they be prepared to support one by publicising it.

This waiting for publication of the strategy is frustrating. Am I the only one who is annoyed that the govt will probably be hijacking Carers Week for their own PR. Of course no matter what the outcome all non carers will deduce is that the Govt are doing something to help us -lets hope they do but like others I'm not holding my breath and I agree we should put a motion re protest to CUK's AGM now- at least then if the outcome of the review is what we suspect we'll know where we stand.
krys wrote
if anyone is interest in this, and do not want to
post, can they then not e-mail/pm any of the moderators
on their boards?
Rosemary has posted on here, so surely members can
pm her?
then perhaps by this evening at the latest monday evening
we should know how many carers want to do this, even
if you can't go yourself, we need to know who is in
agreement.
I'm in agreement with the protest , and I'd be willing to go either to London, or a localised protest.

Thank you cheryl Image

krys
I`ll go anywhere for protest but why cant we inform the met that 10`s of thousands of carers will be protesting at #10 then on the day just me and a couple of others turn up and inform the boys in blue that due to our careing duties they had to stay at home tee hee . Image

any way i may have jumped the gun who knows we may get something out of the review Image

iam convinced the carers alowance will remain but over a period of years it will increase when at work we won a case for woman to get equal pay with us blokes so over about 5 years if i remember they got same pay rise as us hardworking men + £5 per week and they eventualy caught up with us (then most of them took redundancy )
we may see something like this re carers allowance inflation rise + 2,3,4,5, quid extra till it reaches well whatever i honestly cant see the government paying us £100 - £150 carers allowance per week for one simple reason at the moment we only have 750-000 in receipt of the allowance but believe you me if it was £100 £150 the take up would be far to high for any government to cope with .

GEORGE
George wrote
i honestly cant see the government paying us £100 - £150 carers allowance per week for one simple reason at the moment we only have 750-000 in receipt of the allowance but believe you me if it was £100 £150 the take up would be far to high for any government to cope with
I agree George that is a major stumbling block to the gov increasing CA appreciably. But it IMO still cheaper than paying carer workers, and residential fees etc. After all they say they want to banish poverty, the only way to do so is to redistribute the wealth in the UK differently to how they are distrubutig it at present. After all, carers are not going to sit on the money, they will spend it , which in turn helps the economy. With a substantial increase carers would also not be so reliant on other top up benefits. Realistically I don't see it as being beyond what the country can afford, someone has to care for the ill, disabled and elderly, and someone has to be paid for doing so? Why not the family carer? If they give up work to care, it frees their job for someone else? Swings and roundabouts?
One of STANS owld sayings was we should get all the money in the uk divide it out between every one of us and when he`s spent his do i all over again

GEORGE
Sounds like agood plan to me George.
Particularly as I can spend faster than anyone else I know Image Image Image
I've put a thread up on our board and emailed our members to get their comments on whether they'd be able to attend a protest at some level or would prefer to sign a petition, depending on their caring circumstances.

If anyone's attending Carers Week events maybe some sort of flyer could be given out for carers/former carers who don't have internet access.

Paula xx
I honestly think a petition is our best bet but we need someone with high profile to hand over but even a petition is not an easy thing to do the postcard thing was ok but if i remember did we hand them all over in one big bag ? we should set up a week and get all carers to send via overland mail postcards the bigger the beter are you listening GORDON if not read this card .

Yours faithfully Georgie boy
Quote from Cheril:

Realistically I don't see it as being beyond what the country can afford, someone has to care for the ill, disabled and elderly, and someone has to be paid for doing so? Why not the family carer? If they give up work to care, it frees their job for someone else? Swings and roundabouts?

Totally agree.
276 posts