[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PROTEST - Page 5 - Carers UK Forum

PROTEST

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
276 posts
The cost of coach hire is beyond most of us ive just today booked coach 38 seats for 3 oct Newcastle to Hayling island £1-700 for 4 days + drivers meals and room on top its for P.O.W. reunion the last one again as most of them are in their 80`s should divert coach to # 10 for protest nah dont want to spoil the trip/
GEORGE=====
Fine George - then let's make a virtue of our poverty and agree to HITCH-HIKE to Whitehall. The media and public would just love that.... I am deadly serious- if you want a novel campaign gimmick, thats it. Lets all wear big slogan T shirts and stick out our thumbs... but I draw the line at doing in in the nuddy: Krys might be able to carry that off, but I choose not to show my Rangers tattoos all the way down the M6, thank you very much, 'cos I don't want to get run over by the Tims... (apols to any Hoops supporters who might be reading this)

If you will - I will. I hitched across much of the world when I was a student, maybe 100,000 miles or more - from the UK to Greece and back, Japan, Australia, NZ and half way across the USA and Canada. I think - with some clever advance publicity in the tabloids - we would get a terrific response from the public, especially the lorry drivers...
If all the local carer centres could become involved in this, then the costs per head would not be as bad as individuals making their own way there. And it could help with sitting as maybe some could look after a couple of carees while some went.
But as most local carer centres are run by CUK or PRTC, they would have to be in agreement with the protest for the centres to become involved.
I've never been on a march or protested about anything before so I'm not sure (like many of us probably) what is involved.

Apparently you get as many people as possible, Set a date, tell the press, tell the TV people, tell the Police and meet somewhere where the march will begin and March to 10 Downing Street where a "Spokesperson" hands in paperwork of what we want. Somebody has to be in charge (like a body of people).

So. Step one. Get as many people as possible. How do you do that? Image
If all the local carer centres could become involved in this, then the costs per head would not be as bad as individuals making their own way there. And it could help with sitting as maybe some could look after a couple of carees while some went.
But as most local carer centres are run by CUK or PRTC, they would have to be in agreement with the protest for the centres to become involved.
Carers centres are independent charities which link in to the network: to be a carers centre they have to offer certain types of service and take part in PRTC campaigns. That's it. Whether PRTC, CUK or Uncle Tom Cobley likes it or not, the carers centres can make their own minds up - and that is at the whim of their trustees, the majority at least of whom will be carers or recently ex-carers.
thanks Charles, I didn't know that.
It's how a lot of national charities operate - Mencap, National Autistic Society, Age Concern (to name but a few) all had a central London office but originally had no infrastructure to set anything else up, so they encouraged local activists to set up their own groups but to share either the name or the identity. It's the same with PRTC. Carers UK seems to have gone down a different road and taken on the Branch idea, something the National Autistic Society did about 15 years ago, mainly because it's becoming harder to start up a new charity these days - the paperwork and the personal exposure to financial penalties (or the possibility of them) is rather greater now than it was.

When I was a trustee of a national charity for a time, the first thing our Treasurer asked was "have you signed your house over to your wife?"

Made me feel really confident!!
One or two of us have not been on a protest march as a trade union rep N.U.R. ( no use rushing ) now R.M.T. we had many the first one i ever went on was in protest of protesters ( true it was against national front marching) and it didn`t work but to be honest my first was for the ambulance drivers thats what they were called in those days .

GEORGE======
morning george

well you must be an expert, so we know who to call Image

krys
xxx
I hereby nominate George to head the march Image Image
i am pleased to say this thread is still going
well on other forums, a lot of views, but the
more imput the better Image

krys
xxx
276 posts