[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PROTEST - Page 23 - Carers UK Forum

PROTEST

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
276 posts
Just as the government doesn't meet its expressed commitment to support carers neither does it meet its expressed commitment to the third world. We live in relative poverty, we might have to balance the need to eat and to heat our homes but we have homes, we have food, millions of people in the third world have no nutritious food whatsoever, they live in hovels, the favelas for example, there are children living on the streets with no family or societal support, they experience flood, drought and famine, the "lucky" ones live on less than a dollar a day to manufacturing cheap goods for us to enjoy. Child and infant mortality is extraordinarily high, the sick have no access to health care and there is no welfare state to fall back on.

Despite the current economic downturn this is a rich country, there is still sufficient money to meet the needs of the British citizen and the needs of the poorest people in the world, what there isn't is the will to meet the needs of either, people want low taxes and to be able to access high-quality, free public services, you can't have both unless you ignore the needs of the poorest in both your own country and abroad.
Charles47. If you're referring to me, I do respect the opinions of others & my response re; foreign aid was well intended. No criticism of smiler involved. Besides, how can ya criticise anyone called smiler?

My response on the Carer Support worker was meant to be wickedly humorous (shoulda put a smiley in there Image instead of exclamation marks I guess!!! hehe ) but I realised after posting that it may come across as just plain mean Image
Kia, no reference to anyone specifically. But there have been some comments about a paid worker without any knowledge of their background or reasons for posting, and these were of some concern - hence the wording of my post. 10% of all workers are carers and it's fair to assume that a large proportion of carers workers are or have been carers. In my own centre, half of the staff are in that position.

There are things that should be welcomed for those few who will benefit but there needs to be outright criticism of those parts that do not address what carers need now. This all smacks of "bung 'em a few quid to keep 'em quiet" without any sense of a real strategy with specific, measurable and timebound targets to show that it is actually working. Personally, now I've read most of it, I give it maybe 3/10. If I was a teacher writing Gordon Brown's report I'd be saying something along the lines of "his homework always looks as though it was written at the back of the bus on the way to school. I am uncertain of his capacity to improve on his current level of attainment, but it would be nice if he would actually try now and then."
Iam all for overseas aid .
STAN as you all know was a p.o.w. in Poland for 5 years he was fluent in both German & Polish in the mid 50`s he started to help Polish families (mainly catholic) by sending out clothes - old dolls fur coat Image and food parcels he carried on with this for years i wonder what he would say today with all the Polish workers in U/K dont think it would be GIN DOBRY

GEORGE = THE OLD DOLL AND MYSELF STILL SUPPORT FOREIGN AID BUT IAM SURE YOU CAN SEE WHY SOME PEOPLE DONT .
[If I was a teacher writing Gordon Brown's report I'd be saying something along the lines of "his homework always looks as though it was written at the back of the bus on the way to school. I am uncertain of his capacity to improve on his current level of attainment, but it would be nice if he would actually try now and then."]

Image Image Image

seriously though, this is not going away, we will do this protest,
there is a lot of work ahead, but i am sure that as carers we are
used to hard work Image

keep posting
love to you all
krys
xxxx
The point I was trying to get across was that if carers asked for money they are told sorry we have non spare but if a disaster happens they can offer millions . It is nothing to do with money it is what the government thinks will make them look good , giving to carers or giving to a foreign country
Ok people,
What we are looking at doing is, from the bottom up, posters in your windows advertising the march, contact with any carers you know that don't know about it, posters in libraries etc. to involve those who cannot leave their carees.
For those who can only leave their caree for a couple of hours, an organised march to their MP's constitutional office.
For those who can make a regional capital but not London, organized march on the assemblies and Scottish parliament.
For all those that can, London.
All at the same time.
As you probably realise, it is taking time to organise, contacting carer centres, disabled charities etc. but things are moving Image
hi everyone

we should be able to post something to you by the
end of this week, or early next week, after this the
protest planning should commence Image

love

krys
xxxx
Myrtle mentioned re protest:
For those who can only leave their caree for a couple of hours, an organised march to their MP's constitutional office.
Not sure when you/we (I'll definitely be protesting too) plan to protest but it might be worth bearing in mind that if we are thinking of MPs constituency offices...presumably it would be good if the MPs were actually there (although would still be symbolic if not). MPs are generally in Westminster during the week and in their constituencies on Fridays..of course they may be out on appointments in the constituency then too.

They also break up for the summer recess in July..they may be going on holiday!

More likely to get a protest when they are actually there if you protest outside/at one of their advice surgeries..

If it's all going to be on the same day and a surgery isn't possible we might have to consider an alternative local visible venue..invite the press and the MP along...and if the MP can't make it go ahead with the protest and get the press to ask for the MPs comments....then go along to the advice surgeries..

Just a thought..

best wishes
Belle
Hi Belle
The originall idea was because we have inform the police etc in advance, was that we also contact all the mps in advance and get them to agree to be at either the town hall or there office to except the petitions from the carers protest, or if they can`t they arrange for a representative.
I should have known you'd thought it all out Image
best wishes

Belle
276 posts