[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PROTEST - Page 21 - Carers UK Forum

PROTEST

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
276 posts
I think everyone is being a little unfair to the Government. They have spent a lot of time over the past 12 months discussing all the issues Carers have. Ivan Lewis and Gordon Brown have got involved directly with Carers and Carer Organisations like Carers UK and the Princess Royal Trust fr Carers. The proposed Carer's Strategy has just been produced and, from the brief synopsis I have read, there is a lot of good stuff in there, some of which will be amended as it goes though Parliament.
I intend reading the full 174 page document next week, but please don't think the Government is not listening
I am sorry to criticise the last post. I have been a Carer(unpaid) for 22 years, as well as working fulltime for the first 13 years of the care.My husband and younger son do not have respite care and I cannot afford respite care for my older son very often, I am on-call every day, when my older son is out, and have had to cancel a vital appointment this week, as we had a crisis with our younger son.

THis is nothing unusual, as you will see from reading the many posts here. I know of Carers in their eighties and one in his nineties, still caring for disabled adult children.

We deserve to be respected in Society,and more than that, we deserve a living wage. We cannot magic food on the table, heating in our homes or an hour off to get our hair cut. We deserve to be paid enough so that if we go on holiday, we do not pay out more for our carees respite care, than our holiday is going to cost, that is adding insult to injury.I have to pay over £150 a week for my son to have respite, that is three weeks of my "wages", added to which I always have to be on-call, as if my son is ill, I have to cut my holiday short and collect him, or if there is a problem with his diabetes, the Care staff are not trained in Diabetes care,and have to contact me to find out how to deal with it. I cannot go anywhere out of range of a mobile phone, if my son is not in my care. We have found it easier to take him on holiday with us. Image

I
I think everyone is being a little unfair to the Government. They have spent a lot of time over the past 12 months discussing all the issues Carers have. Ivan Lewis and Gordon Brown have got involved directly with Carers and Carer Organisations like Carers UK and the Princess Royal Trust fr Carers. The proposed Carer's Strategy has just been produced and, from the brief synopsis I have read, there is a lot of good stuff in there, some of which will be amended as it goes though Parliament.
I intend reading the full 174 page document next week, but please don't think the Government is not listening
we all have our own ideas and freedom of speech, but i am afraid
a lot of carers will find your views very upsetting, i for one wish
the government would listen and actually DO something for carers.

krys
we all have our own ideas and freedom of speech, but i am afraid
a lot of carers will find your views very upsetting, i for one wish
the government would listen and actually DO something for carers.

krys
I'm in full agreement with Krys.
There's a world of difference between Government supporting Carers in reality & simply being 'seen' to be doing so.

There's no offence intended in my response, I just find it hard to understand how anyone can believe that the Government values Carers when they continue doing the absolute minimum to support us. And that minimum only because we have somewhat of a voice through CUK & PRTC as the largest organisations campaigning on our behalf, albeit more of a whisper than the firm, assertive voice needed to be truly effective in getting our needs met.

Ivan Lewis & Gordon Brown getting 'involved directly with Carers' etc; was nothing more than a smokescreen, a ploy to keep Carers quiet. I'm sure they knew that Carers had reached their limits & that the idea of a mass protest, as difficult as that is in our situation, was already bubbling amongst us but would be quelled during the review & formation of their latest Carers Strategy.

The Carers Strategy of 1999, ironically entitled "Caring for Carers" promised much & did little. The latest one is just another scam.

Example from 1999:
"Government consulting on proposals, but by 2050 Carers could receive an extra £50 a week in real terms."

Wow! Based on that we only have to wait another 42yrs for this princely increase!!! I'll be 99yrs old with enough money to book an awayday somewhere local! Hmm, that'll be my first break in 57yrs! Can't wait to get my bikini out of mothballs Image

Anything halfway decent that's being promised in this latest farce of a strategy will be watered down to precious little, just like the last one, by yet more cuts in services across the board!

For all the talk of respite care, direct payments, Carers Assessments rights etc; few actually mange to secure these support services in reality.
I'm sick of being told that my son & I are not 'eligible' for ANY services! I'm 57, a lone parent & disabled by arthritis & I'm tired of constantly battling with Health & Social Services who deem our needs as 'moderate' & offer me a list of services that I must pay for. With what?
My son is 22, suffers from a wide range of disabilities & can be totally wheelchair bound for 6months at a time.
Our home has stairs, loo, bathroom & bedrooms are upstairs.
How is it that we don't qualify for any support?

I'm not a cynic by any means but I am a realist & the facts are crystal clear. Government does not value us in the slightest. We are barely on their radar. They talks the talk is all & that really isn't good enough.

As for the Government 'listening' to us, well clearly they were deaf to the needs we had prioritized, but no worries, I'm sure they'll spend billions more on senseless reviews that amount to nothing concrete for Carers. Again!
Not to mention the usual practice of greedily lining their own pockets as fast & as full as they are capable of!

Our Labour Government, like some larger charities, has lost its heart & hence its way. When that happens those already suffering suffer more & become more vulnerable to a host of illnesses, further financial degradation, depression & dare I say it, suicide.

Our society has changed. Families often live some distance from one another & either can't assist us in caring or can only do so once in a blue moon for a brief period.
We need much, much more than the bare minimum & I suspect many of us wish we'd protested sooner rather than wait for the Government to stitch us up again.

My son's tried to end his life too many times in the past due to the total lack of services (including education) & support that has resulted in his being at home 24/7 for long periods. I'm constantly pushing myself beyond my limits of endurance & getting more disabled & deeper in debt to give him some quality of life & prevent the depression that either disables him more or provokes further suicide attempts.

This Strategy has sweet FA in it for me as a Carer. But hey, going by one of Tony Blairs promises in 1999 I can afford that awayday when I'm 99!

My rant is over & I make no apologies for it. Bring on the Protest!
Well said kia
The government never have money for carers, but foreign aid or pay rises for themselves the money is freely available. There are also people who are both bringing in wages of £400 plus (example) who think carers get everything they want when it couldn't be further from the truth.
Any one of the double income families out there could loose both incomes tomorrow , one has an accident and needs care the other has to give up work to provide the care that is when the reality hits.
They use children in adverts to get you to slow down in built up areas, what about an adult with voice over of this couple could afford everything in life (show them standing side by side) then with one in a wheelchair and saying now they survive on state benefits of less than one weeks wage for a month.

This is the sort of thing CUK should be trying to get accross
I agree with you Kia, so many of us are literally hidden from view by our circumstances and lack of support of any kind whatsoever, the government said it carered about carers 10 years ago and yet life is getting more, not less, difficult. There will be carers who benefit from the strategy but they will be the minority, £12.50 per carer per annum for the next two years, almost the exact equivalent of the Carers Grant which has had its ring-fencing removed, is not going to make one iota of difference to carers who desperately need but can't get services, it will make very little difference to those already in receipt of services; the health check is a re-announcement from two or three years ago, in many areas it hadn't materialised and now the government is talking about pilots as if it's a new idea. The government didn't listen to carers 10 years ago and hasn't listened this time round, I for one didn't expect them to, I've seen too may sham consultation processes to know that they are just window dressing, go into the shop and the shop is bare.
Does anybody else find it strange that a person joins the board today and in the very first post-defends the Government??

Maybe it's Gordon!!!!!! Image Image
just how long are we prepared to be unsung hero`s Image
whats the opposite of an unsung hero it must be a sung hero if so will we get any more money .

GEORGE ======JUST ANOTHER UNSUNG HERO Image
chrissmthch, I see from your profile that you describe yourself as a support worker for a Carer Support Service, I hope you don't mind if I ask you whether you care for a member of your family or whether you're posting in your professional capacity?
276 posts