[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Preston Carer's Centre - don't care!! - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Preston Carer's Centre - don't care!!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The Service Level Agreement probably refers to unpaid carers. Sounds to me as though it's a literal interpretation of the text, because I would doubt very strongly that the Service Level Agreement would be specific enough as to exclude you: it would be tempting to ask them for an explanation as to what makes you different from, say, a care worker who is paid to care for someone else and then cares for a relative at home?

Because I'm sure I couldn't...
Hi folks,

I've just been doing a little research into Preston Carers Ctr and it looks like they are funded by the Princess Trust for Carers plus the Local Authority and the NHS Primary Care Trust.

Yes Charles, I might just ask that question, in fact, my social worker is visiting me tomorrow I might ask him to assist me too. I think it's disgraceful that I should be turned away just because I'm on Direct Payments. Image

Elaine.
I think there are some clear questions to ask them

1. If your 22 hours paid work were at Asda would they support you?

2. If your 22 hours of Direct payments were to care for a stranger and then the rest of the time you cared for your Mum would they support you?

I don't see how this position can be defended? Outside of those 22 paid hours you are still a carer. I think Charles points about respite and Carers Assessments are very good ones and I agree that without clarity there could be a risk LA's see this as a way to dilute responsibilities to unpaid carers as defined by the 1996 carers legislation.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to one of your questions yes they would support a 'working' carer ie. your example of someone working at Asda and them coming home to care for a family member.

I am going to ring the Centre and find out what their complaints procedure is and take it from there.

Thanks again
Elaine
Elaine, if it's any help you are definitely defined as a carer under the following legislation

Carers Recognition and Services Act 1996
Carers and Disabled Children's Act 2000
Carers (Equal Opportunities) Act 2004

All three bits of law tell a Local Authority that a carer is defined as someone who provides substantial unpaid care on a regular basis.

Those are the key words - unpaid, regular and substantial.

The legislation particularly the 2004 act also urges LA's to consider the impact caring has when deciding if a carer should be helped - you gave up your paid job to care for your mum - that is a huge impact.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Yes all this info helps me but the part they will throw back in my face when I write my letter of complaint is the word unpaid and no doubt that's how they will worm their way out of it.

Got to go and CARE for Mum now. Will be back later Image

Thanks,
Elaine.
The key words are unpaid in terms of the additional substantial and regular care you provide over and above your paid hours, beaglelady.

If you were providing paid care for someone else but caring for your mum as well, you'd be treated as a carer. Your situation is really no different than that.
Hi Matt,

Yes all this info helps me but the part they will throw back in my face when I write my letter of complaint is the word unpaid and no doubt that's how they will worm their way out of it.

Got to go and CARE for Mum now. Will be back later Image

Thanks,
Elaine.
Agree with Charles - the key words are that you provide "unpaid care" not whether they say you are an unpaid carer. And you provide unpaid care.
Hi Matt and Charles47,

Ok thanks for your help, I will now try to compose my letter of complaint. I won't let this go especially since I learned today that my local memory clinic has stopped the carers meetings they held once every 6/8 weeks. The only people I can talk to now are the members on this forum - although I'm not complaining you are all very friendly and helpful Image The memory clinic nurse spoke to me today and I told her about being 'rejected' by the carers centre, she agreed it was discrimination and was totally shocked Image

So onwards and upwards, one letter coming up and yet another battle on my hands! I sometimes feel I'm just battling with everyone - social services, care agencies, district nurses etc . Is it just me or what?? Image I get annoyed at the fact I have to fight for Mum's corner all the time and I waste my energy on authorities, I should be using my energy on caring for Mum.
Anyway, enough of me grumbling yet again.

Thanks for all your opinions and assistance,
Elaine.
Primarily you are your mams unpaid family carer,your employment should not even enter the equation. Go girl Image