[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Power Of Attorney - Carers UK Forum

Power Of Attorney

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Before my husband's illness we always had it in mind to have an enduring power of attorney ready for such an eventuality, but never got around to it! Wise after the event, I had our solicitor draw up the documents in respect of myself, and now my children have POA over me so I can't screw up too badly! As soon as my husband was functioning well enough to understand and sign the POA on his own behalf he did so.

We can fill in his DLA forms without reference to him, which is great as he tends to minimise his disabilities, which isn't helpful! If I needed to sell the house I wouldn't need his agreement, but obviously I would try to get it if I could.

POA is a document worth having, which will kick in if you cannot handle your own affairs.
If you have given Power of Attorney to your children for yourself, doesn't it also mean that all decisions i.e. selling a property, is taken out of your hands? It also means they have control over all your finances.
Only when you lack the mental capacity to deal with your own affairs. Under the Enduring Power of Attorney decisions that could be made on your behalf were more limited than those that can be made under the more recent Lasting Power of Attorney which includes personal welfare related issues as well as financial issues. LPA also costs a lot more to set up and register and you can no longer give Enduring Power of Attorney although those already made are still, to the best of knowledge, legally binding at least for the time being.
If you have given Power of Attorney to your children for yourself, doesn't it also mean that all decisions i.e. selling a property, is taken out of your hands? It also means they have control over all your finances.
Yes thank goodness! Naturally I wouldn't have done it if I didn't trust my children completely. I have the day to day handling of our finances for shopping etc, but my eldest daughter does an audit every month to much sure all is running smoothly, which gives me peace of mind. I have always had a BIG problem with maths, suffering from dyscalculia, which is like dyslexia. My six year old grandson is much better at maths than I am! I have never had to be in charge of finances in the whole of my life. Before I married at 19, my father had a handle on them, then my husband took over. I know that doesn't sound very emancipatated but it suited me. I just got on with the things that I did best like raising a family including two adopted sons with special needs. I never had to work outside the home, but I never felt any less equal than my husband, we just played to our strengths!