[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Positive Feedback - Carers UK Forum

Positive Feedback

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
This forum can be depressing as it often seems to be one long moan about the shortcomings of the Government/LEA/Care Services etc. Whilst no one would pretend that everything in the garden is lovely, we do have to be a bit grateful that we live in the UK where help is better than people in some third world countries could ever dream of.

I am sure there are some positive things people might like to share with us.

For my part we are grateful for the fantastic input we get from the North Wales Brain Injury service based in Colwyn Bay. The therapists visit my husband at home, which saves me driving him to our local hospital everytime he has an appointment. Although there is not much more they can do for his condition, they will continue visiting for the time being just so he doesn't feel abandoned. Image
Good idea, Sarniajoy. Perhaps we need a "brickbats and bouquets" area?
Perhaps we need a "brickbats and bouquets" area?
There are plenty of brickbats flying around maybe one reserved for bouquets would be nice! Image
I meant one of each, but point taken!! Image
Well I gotta say that we have had great help from our social worker, I cannot fault her. She has been absolutely fantastic since I started my caring role, and has offered me as much if not more help than I need. Image Image Image
Very true.
We have relations in the USA who were very well off.
However following on from a heart problem with his wife and the insurance running out the husband is close to being bankrupt simply from funding treatment and care.
The NHS is not pefect but they are always there
[quote]This forum can be depressing as it often seems to be one long moan about the shortcomings of the Government/LEA/Care Services etc. Whilst no one would pretend that everything in the garden is lovely, we do have to be a bit grateful that we live in the UK where help is better than people in some third world countries could ever dream of.[quote]

This is after all a carers forum-and for most carers life itself is depressing. Rather than being grateful that we are better off than people in third world countries some of us have to continually fight to make sure they are actually treated better than they would be in a third world country.

After recent experiences where my caree spent 3 weeks in hospital and 9 days in a care home I can tell you that people who can do nothing for themselves, may even be better off in a third world country. The hospital stay took myself and a team of district nurses 9 months to heal the horrendous sores and infections she came out with.
The stay in the home has resulted in me suing them for willful neglect and medical negligence, because of the sores , infections and the results of wrong medication being given.

So---I'm sorry if this "moan" depresses anyone-but this is real life for some of us, and i do tend to try to educate people who appear to be fortunate enough to have not experienced the short comings of the system we have to live in.
hi ken

i for one can completely understand why you
should wish to 'moan' and you do not need to
apologise for doing so!!!
i am so sorry for you and your dear wife and
everything you have been through.
it is every carers nightmare, the worry of
being admitted to hospital and what will happen
to their caree, what happened to your wife
was disgraceful, and i hope they close the
so called 'care' home.

krys
Ken, I hope you know how I feel about the treatment your wife received - for those who don't I think it's beyond time the home in question was closed. There is no excuse for poor care provision resulting in pressure sores.

But this thread is to provide people with an opportunity to talk about the good news - where it exists. There are plenty of places on this site to raise the less good news and Sarniajoy has asked for a little balance by providing us with the opportunity.

Some good news: 12 months after our finding someone to offer an Adult Placement for Mike for a few hours to give us a break, we had our first break yesterday for 6 hours.
BRICKBATS & BOUQEUTS Image

If i was happy with my lot i would not be on this site and i bet you a pound to a penny the vast majority of "bouqeuts" handed out would go to some kind of charity organisation which by the way the state should be paying for and not from the collection box, anywho why should we praise many health / social care workers who after all are just doing the job they chose to do and unlike carers they get paid for doing so . as acarer i did choose this "JOB" and as it is a "JOB" i should also like health / care workers be paid for doing it.
when i was at work i did not expect to read in the papers every other day after a 12 hour night shift in freezing snow blowing a gale well done to the overhead-linesman the public can all get into work safely today

in some 12 years as a carer 9 years looking after 2 disabled adults the help and support i have received is near zero the only real help we got was when STAN was on his last not untill they knew he was on the way out did we get the help, support & compassion we needed
and some wonder why i get annoyed ive sold my home spent all my savings i have to live on a pittance use my own private pension just to stand still if it were not for the old dolls war related pension which she uses to subsidise her own care we would be dire straits how some elderly disabled get by on basic state pensions + benefits amazes me i get no help re benefits at all apart from the carers allowance £50-50 per week which by the way the government have just stated is not inadequate.