[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
a life too short. - Carers UK Forum

a life too short.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
do we compromise,settle for second,third,even forth best?.My unease,restless spirit calls me-on.After much much much,then-again,much more,thought,discussion,more of both,then some,my caree and I are now thinking of,once more,leaving the UK to live elsewhere.We feel,both of us,restless,uneasy,a sence of just marking time here.life is too short not to live it fully.
maxi - where will you go?
do we compromise,settle for second,third,even forth best?.My unease,restless spirit calls me-on.After much much much,then-again,much more,thought,discussion,more of both,then some,my caree and I are now thinking of,once more,leaving the UK to live elsewhere.We feel,both of us,restless,uneasy,a sence of just marking time here.life is too short not to live it fully.
I fully understand your thoughts Maxi, we thought long and hard about our move, and the defining factor was why shouldn't we, everybody expects us to stay put, but our Kerry Ann is extremely well travelled, when the building trade collapsed in the early 90s we started a haulage company, and our destinations were all Eastern Bloc countries, Kerry Ann has been all over Europe and thoroughly enjoyed it. She has has been to the US 5 times and also sailing charters around Greece before she moved here. She loves flying, there are 2 things in this world you are gauranteed, 1 you are born, 2 you will expire at some point, its the bit in the middle that makes the differance. I truly believe that disability should not be a hindrance to people broadening there horizons. We have found the health system here ok, and some very good doctors. Most benifits for disabled people are now exportable withing the EU, including carers allowance. Also the sun has a very positive effect on peoples health and wellbeing, although we will have to return at some piont because of Kerry Anns spinal collapse, i would not change it for the world, my opinion for what its worth, is go for it, enjoy your life, you only have one shot at it. Image
Maxi, just writing to second what PaulinGreece has said! Tony and I moved to Spain 9 years ago although under different circumstances. Moving out here was a very big thing for me as I had never moved further than 20 miles away from my family all my life!

I guess you should never say never but I can say hand on heart that I have absolutely no intention of moving back to the UK. As we are under retirement age we have to pay for private medical insurance but live more or less without working on a very small military pension that Tony has. I worked for 15 years in the NHS in the UK and sadly from my experience, the UK doesn't come any where near the system here. I admit that my experience with the NHS here has been limited other than what Miss Daisey used, but it was faultless.

Tony and I don't have a huge place, just a little flat by the sea which we adore. Living here is so different that you are outside far more than inside and I certainly don't want a big place where I would be spending most of the day cleaning! The sun certainly does make a difference too...how can you not smile when the sun is shining?!

Maxi, weigh up your options and if it is something that you feel you can cope with being away from other family, follow your dreams.

Bell x

(PS...if you want any info that you think I could help with, let me know). x
Go for it, it is better to regret something you did than something you didn't do Image
Go for it.
in the end,you feel that missing part of you,if you can feel a missing portion of your being,that bit,the nagging thing saying to you,theres more to this then this.

ignored for years,it just wont go away,an itch needing a good scratching.

i first left the uk in 1978,lived in ireland then holland for about 12 years in total,then,later,three years in holland again.

so i know the oit falls.

we are just thinking of various options at present.we favour france,but its early days yet.the leap of faith of setting your mind to it,of accepting its time to move-on,is half the battle,

mentally feel its right the rest follows.
Maxi,

Do it you only live once !
I agree, Maxi.
Don't spend the rest of your life thinking, if only. Or only if.

I've always told both of my children to 'go for it'. Why not? If it doesn't work out, then you're richer for the experience and learning that it would give you.

Good luck with your decision, hundreds do it each year, why shouldn't you?
the very helpfull coments by my fellow carers have made me more determined to move.im certainly fully geared to do so.