[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
"One, two, three, up!" - Carers UK Forum

"One, two, three, up!"

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I have found that my wife has difficulty in getting up from her stair lift chair at the top of the stairs ,as the seat is set rather low.
This enables her to get on it easily but not off it.
A low seat means greater effort of lifting ones self. A high seat is easier to get off but more difficult to get on.

So when she gets to the top of the stairs I come up behind her and put my two hands under her buttocks.
When she is all ready to rise I say, "One, two, three, up!"
On the 'up' she tries to lift herself and I help to lift and she rises up like a feather. :)

I have to be careful that I don't fall back down the stairs. :shock:
Hi Albert,

I would ask for the Occupational therapist (OT) to do a home visit as they will have come across this problem before and will hopefully be able to suggest an easy and practical solution.
Melly1
But I enjoy putting my hands under my wife's bum. She does too. :lol:
Albert, that made me chuckle! However, if you fall you and really hurt yourself you may not be able to even give her a kiss on the cheek( face not bum lol) let alone put your hands under her bum. So you be careful and take note of Mellys advice. Xx
The simple solution will be to raise the seat.
One day stair lift designers will realise that some have difficulty and design
a powered tilting seat.