[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Paying care home fees - Carers UK Forum

Paying care home fees

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.

My mother went into a care home a couple of months ago. We have just got to the point of the financial assessment being completed. However there is quite a large top up payment required which we are told has to be paid by someone other than my mother. What happens if we are unable to afford to pay this amount? I am really confused about how this whole thing works. Does the council take away her pensions as well?

Hi Diane.

Care homes fees / top ups ?


https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... care-home/

Do NOT agree , sign for or pay anything until you have read the guide.

CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare ?

Offered ? Applied for ? Refused ?

Main thread :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... inks-32532

Once you have read , feel free to bounce anything off us here on the forum.

Your last thread :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... home-33856

Same link as before.

Some very good advice already given in that thread.

Why not take advantage of AGE UK's offer of providing guidance and advice ???


Bear in mind two events on the horizon ... things MAY change.

This year's budget and the Green Paper on social care ... major thread on the latter.
The ONLY PERSON rfesponsible for mum's care home fees is MUM.

After the financial assessment, anything she can't afford is the responsibility of the LOCAL AUTHORITY AND NO ONE ELSE!

However, you need to be cunning now.

Ask the local authority to write to you outlining how much mum can afford, and how much the top up is that they want you to pay, so that you can show your husband, sister, aunt, anyone at all. Just get the reply in writing.

Then you have clear evidence that they are acting unlawfully! Then complain to the LA, and then the Ombudsman if necessary, but DO NOT PAY A PENNY!
Hi Lapwing
They should have completed the financial assessment before she went into the Home. It could be worth making a complaint about this as they may waive some of those first months, or they may not. If they don't play ball you can go to the Ombudsman on this point

Also, from what you posted before Mum will be self funding until her savings reduce to £23000.

Top ops by third parties are illegal unless you specifically chose a certain Home or more expensive room for Mum -though I thought they didnt apply to self funders. They are usually only used to top up Council contributions

Do check out the links sent earlier before anybody sings anything

Do you or anyone else have financial POA for Mum?
She went into the Home at short notice on a respite basis. She suddenly couldn’t manage at home as she was unable to stand unaided. So we found the home and we self funded. However her funds almost immediately dropped below the £23 threshold and we began the financial assessment process. I am a year off the magic age of 60 and we have asked for the property to be disregarded. We believe they are going to do this, but are not 100% on this. My brother and I have POA in place now.

So if we cannot pay the top up they are asking for, will they tell us she has to go into a cheaper home? She has been awarded continuing nursing care but not CHC.
I think I'm right in saying that if you want the value of her property assets to be disregarded, you have to 60 AND living in that property, don't you? Others here will know for sure.

If that is so, then it could well be worth while borrowing money against the value of the property (eg, mortgage, bank loan whatever!), to fund your mum's residential care as a self-funder, UNTIL you turn 60. At that point, her property should be disregarded, and she can 'go on the council' with no further payment from her non-property assets (ie, below the £23500 CASH level - 'as if' she did not own any property).

This may be the only way the family can 'keep' her property from being sold and spent - possibly entirely! - on her residential care for the remainder of her life. (My MIL is nearing the point where she has 'spent' the proceeds of her flat sale....sigh).

But if you don't 'tough it out' till you are 60, then the house will have to be sold to pay for her care home fees, and that is that.

However, YOU do not pay ANYTHING for her care home fees if that happens. She is ONLY responsible for HERSELF. YOU are not financial responsible for her in any way (ie, if you are 'giving up' on trying to inherit her property by toughing it out on providing/funding care for her till you are sixty).

But can the property be disregarded if you are not living in it?
If they refuse to disregard the property, there is another alternative, for them to pay the fees and then put a "charge" on the property, rather like a mortgage company do. No immediate cost to you or mum.
No, but you will lose the house instead of inheriting it. (or whatever the charge has accumulated to by the time she dies.)
That link again ... it's ALL in there.

A link off the first page :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-a ... -for-care/
Do I have to sell my home to pay for care ?
I am living in the home, have been there 7 years.

The issue seems to be the top up fees, which I think is a separate issue to the contribution my mother makes from her income. That top up contribution had to be made from someone else, not her.