[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Passing the buck - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Passing the buck

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hubby used to have a Dog for the Disabled, until he got sick and passed away three years ago - doggy, not hubby. Hamish was allowed and welcomed everywhere. In fact when they both attended the physio department, a nurse would take Hamish upstairs to the wards to visit people who were in-patients and were missing their own dogs. She would return Hamy to the physio dept in time for hubby to come home. I've never known a hospital object to any guide dog or assistance dog. People need their comfort and company at stressful times, especially when going to hospital. They are NOT going to wee on the floor or lick anything they shouldn't etc. that's why they are trained dogs. Hamy would 'hold on' for ages if the situation wasn't right and he knew he shouldn't 'go'. People attending hospitals with assistance dogs are in the minority, so what's the problem. Departments are not going to be overrun with dogs are they? Don't they use disinfectant these days to mop the floors with anyway??
In answer to your last question, no, not if what I have seen when my husband has been in hospital is anything to go by, they simply redistribute the dirt using dirty water and dirty mops Image .

When I was in hospital on a surgical ward many years ago my parents visited and my mother had a shopping bag with her which was I thought was a little odd, she looked around furtively, opened the zip and my Siamese kitten's head popped out Image .
update - I've rung around some more homes and as soon as I say I'm in Staffs, the general reaction has been "aah....yes" followed by the news that most beds are booked up a year in advance, or they haven't got any beds. And the cost is so far above the Social workers ideas its laughable. She was talking about £350 a week, but mostly its nearer a thousand!
All I want is to be able to be with my daughter when she has her first baby, but it is looking less and less likely Image
well, of course you could have live in carers for a week., while you have your respite.
And who is going to pay for me to vacate the house?
Hi, Respites never that easy is it?

I suppose it's a bit easier for us as our daughter P.A.'s for us. Image
It really does work well as OH would not go into a 'care home' no way!
I can totally understand why!
During the daytime, when he's awake, he's fine, it's only when he falls asleep or during the night it's a total nightmare! Image

Help with holiday finance? maybe the local Carers Centre could help out with a holiday grant to let you have a few days away?
I know they've got a Carers relief fund.

Just some ideas that could maybe help a little? Image

marie x
i hate dogs ,cats well to be honest any domesticated animals i know some people get pleasure from them but not me sorry.

the buck stops here this sign was once on the U.S.A. presidents desk cant remember which one when the next president came to power he changed the sign to the buck should be stopped before it gets here. or summit like that.
i hate dogs ,cats well to be honest any domesticated animals i know some people get pleasure from them but not me sorry.

the buck stops here this sign was once on the U.S.A. presidents desk cant remember which one when the next president came to power he changed the sign to the buck should be stopped before it gets here. or summit like that.
George, You'd suit an exotic pet like a snake. Image
ive eaten one Image us humans should not keep animals as pets but ive got nowt against eating them
I was in a real dilemma about respite, until I found 'Vitalise'
It sounded great, and although hubby was unsure he went for a week in November, on the understanding that if he didn't like it I'd go and get him!

My hubby went to 'Vitalise' for respite, and loved it. They have a number of places in different parts of the country. They are 'holiday' respite, not residential 'homes'. and have entertainment, outings, bar etc.
As soon as he came home he had me book again for Feb, and March!

There are 'special' weeks for Alzeimers , and subsidised weeks for ME patients.

We are allowed 8 weeks respite money from our LA, at £400 per week - they give us £320 and we have to put the other £80 for each week he's away, BUT it can all be used to cover, say, 4 weeks respite if the cost is more than they give us ie £320 x 2 = £640 + £80 we have to pay for 1 week, means he can go somewhere for £720 for 1 weeks respite. OK it cuts the time he has away by half, but it's somewhere he likes, where the staff are brilliant and there are one to one carers on hand for everyone.

The only problem is having to get him there, and pick him up. I think there may be some transport arrangements under certain circumstances, but not too sure about that.

I hope this is of some help - the people in charge of my DP HAD heard good reports about Vitalise, but say they aren't allowed to recommend anywhere - Go figure!!

Best Wishes
Christine
Yes, I know of Vitalise, costs are £995 for my hubbie, but at the moment the Council will only fund us with £1600 for six weeks, which works out a about 266 a week. so, even if I fund it by 100 a week, I'm still only going to get less than two weeks for the whole year. But if they refuse to fund a decent percentage, then I'll just go back on DP and use it for the week in April, the family get together in September will have to go.
Am I asking too much for just two one weeks breaks out of 52?
No, how many weeks does your care manager get? How many hours does he/she work a week? Does he/she go home at 5.00 pm and leave the job behind and have weekends off? The same goes for the policy-makers who decide how much to allocate for respite, if only they could spend a week or two in our shoes, they might see things differently.