[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Powerful presence, even if not highest status... - Carers UK Forum

Powerful presence, even if not highest status...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I was in the vicinity of Parliament Square, Wednesday 25th February – for the free Meetup for caring people I’m organising – and Fire Fighters protesting against pension arrangements were very visible.

It strikes me that caring people may not have highest status in Social Care arrangements allowed for by Government but, if putting a message across in the vicinity of Parliament as the Fire Fighters have, we could be difficult to ignore if we turned up in visibly large numbers...

You can see details of the free Meetup at Westminster Central Hall, where the Fire Fighters were, and suggestion about conveying your message(s) ahead of our General Election, at:

http://www.meetup.com/CHERISHING-AND-CA ... ng-Counts/
Vic, the main problem for most Carers is ------- where do we 'park' our carees whilst we are protesting ?
susieq wrote:Vic, the main problem for most Carers is ------- where do we 'park' our carees whilst we are protesting ?
Indeed.
Leaving my mother un-attended has always been a major concern for me. I know that she is vulnerable when I am away - mostly due to our neighbourhood and neighbours.

Sometimes one has to leave, to do the grocery shopping or to attend to other matters but I always get anxiety knowing she may get a knock on the door or a phone call from someone trying to take advantage of her. These are not irrational fears, these things have happened on numerous occasions and they impact our quality of life to the highest degree.

Amumu.
the whole issue of 'where do I put xxx while I'm somewhere else' is indeed, the very devil of caring. It's like a parcel one simply cannot put down. When I was up and down the motorway to Glasgow last year before MIL moved south into a care home, the longest she could be 'left alone' was 2 weeks, and that was pushing it badly. She just could not be 'on her own' any more.
Thanks for responses to my earlier post. People certainly have my sympathies...

In case it helps, though, I can add a note to description of the Meetup group to state that Carers are welcome to bring 'Loved Ones' to the Meetup...
Fulfillment is for everyone after all !!

At Meetup.com I introduce myself as 'Full-time Carer... since 2003... believing in real fulfilment and determined to reach out and share'.

I'm fortunate in feeling and being able to leave the person I Care for, for up to 24 hours.
However, can anyone suggest other ways in which Carers might attend..?

(Just to note that I understand that Transport and access can be additional issues. On this point it seems worth saying that Westminster Underground Station does have step-free (lift) access - and though Central Hall Westminster does have a few steps at the Storey's Gate entrance, lift access down to its café is available once inside.)
VIC_1502 wrote:Just to note that I understand that Transport and access can be additional issues. On this point it seems worth saying that Westminster Underground Station does have step-free (lift) access - and though Central Hall Westminster does have a few steps at the Storey's Gate entrance, lift access down to its café is available once inside.
Oh goody. Luckily mum is now in a care home, otherwise I would have been bringing a 90 yr old lady with full-blown dementia who gets very, very confused very, very easily - especially when there is a lot of commotion and noise around and would probably end up screaming. :shock:
However, I do have my husband who has memory problems and unless I hold his hand the whole way would probably get lost. He also doesnt travel very well and it would probably trigger off a major epileptic seizure involving ambulances etc............

Disability doesnt just involve mobility problems.