[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Opinions please... - Carers UK Forum

Opinions please...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I can't wait to read the replies...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/simon-s ... 42130.html
I'm a Carer - but I don't care for "The Huffington Post" or "Simon Stevens" very much.

Just some twatter by some twat.
Are we seeing a bit of a theme here ... ?

See another recent article link in "Boiling blood", a recent post by bowlingbun (Members' Corner)
Yes, I thought it started off similarly to the Boiling Blood article in Community Care.

My first reaction was 'wow!', in that he talks about 'interdependency' in families - well, er, yes, if someone can explain to me just what my 90 yo MIL does for ME (ie, in what respect I'm dependent on her for anything!), I'd be, well, surprised, I think is a good word!

However, the second half of the article does hit the spot, though I'm not sure it makes sense from his original point at all. The existence of child carers is a national disgrace, and if anything should be 'blood boiling' it is the sacrifice of children to their parents because of either (a) their parent's 'irresponsible' self-created dependency and/or (b) the utter lack of sufficient SS support to protect the children's childhood.

In terms of the 'burden' of a disabled child, well 'Up to a point' I think he does have 'a' point about how any child requires looking after, so it is 'only' (!!!!!) the 'extra' that the disability imposes. And then, of course, one only has to think of a parent like Eun, to realise that that 'extra' can be, well, off the richter scale......

Anyway, in a way, the whole article is 'irrelevant' in that all that family carers have to do is 'walk away' and then the country will see just what it would cost to do what they do while carers 'wash their hands' of their carees, and claim their own lives back. A 'Carer's Strike' would be very illustrative.....
I never bother posting on those sites because they tend to censor out or delete whatever they disagree with. Sadly there are very few mainstream places that allow genuine free speech.

But I will say this, I don't believe we have much respect or money. If the state had any respect for us it would replace Carers Allowance with a Carers Wage, even if it only amounted to £1 an hour for a 100 hour week. We would then have been freed from the 'scrounger' label that some vindictively apply; not to mention a myriad of onerous regulations.

David
jenny lucas wrote:A 'Carer's Strike' would be very illustrative.....
We wouldn't even have to withdraw support, only inform them that we were thinking of quitting or ask about alternative arrangements on the same day.

Just imagine the panic.

David
I don't really care for the content of the article, the blogger is perhaps a one-trick pony recently graduated from the Katy Hopkins School of Controversy and How It Can Make A Name For You.
I have a real issue with the style; it's badly written, just like the other one Bowling Bun linked. If I wanted stream-of-conscious ramblings, I'd record my dream state. In publications, I expect AUTHORS to write proficiently and EDITORS to format appropriately (hint: it's en masse not on mass).
OK ............ so can my Mum have a percentage of all the contributions they made through NI that was sold to them by the then government "to ensure their needs were covered now and in Old Age" ... I totally agree that a certain amount of responsibility should be taken by offspring for their parents well being but the situation is totally different to that of children.... children take over our lives because we choose to have them and I have friends with disabled children and their lives are totally different to that of mine when our daughter was a wee thing..... our lives are taken over by these older loved ones because NO ONE ELSE CARES .............. I hate to think what would become of my Mother if I didn't tend to (bully) her daily needs, at the cost of my Husband not having a full time wife I might add. Articles like this one are truly offensive and certainly do make my blood boil, my parents have taken over my life (and my Husbands) for over 11 years now.... I wouldn't have it any other way in reality but as for outside care being better my dads carers were absolutely brilliant but 4 care calls a day only amounted about 50 minutes a day, who do they thing CARED for the other 23 hours 10 mins !!!!!!!!! .............. I still maintain every time I speak to SS or in fact our local Tory MP who is now bombarding me with leaflets and e mails (I wonder if the next few weeks might just be important to him!!!!) that they should send someone to stay with the folk requesting help for a day or two before they can make anything like an accuate assessment !! RANT OVER xxx
The writer, if you look at his full bio or website, has various disabilities himself and this is the way he sees his life, denying that disability has hampered him. He also doesn't write too logically.
What really annoys me is the fact that the Huffington Post publishes this kind of article just because it's controversial. Newspapers seem to regard blogs, or what they describe as blogs, as ways of getting some excitement and discussion on their sites for controversial opinions from which the paper seems to distance itself, because it's just a blog.
Greta, that makes sense, now that you point that out!

It does sound like he's trying to 'deny', maybe, that he's needed as much support as (presumably?)he got from his parents, and maybe saw them as over-controlling? (which, who knows, they may have been???)

It's a dreadful, dreadful thing not to be independent, to have to have other people do things for us, and it's not hard to envisage that children with disabilities carry a burden of their own, which is no one's fault in the slightest - it isn't their fault they have a disability, not the parent's fault they have one.

But, but, but, I really don't see how the author can evade the blunt, if unpalatable truth, that those with disabilities DO have 'dependencies' that are greater than those without such disabilities......

I suppose, in the end, I feel this is a subject that is outwith my experience (and I pray to God it stays outwith my experience, and my son remains healthy and independent).

It does seem to me, though, a rather 'logically muddled' article. I'm not really sure what he's saying, or what he's objecting to. Maybe it simply boils down to what may (possibly?) have been his own experience, that his parents 'made' (???) him feel guilty at having to look after him??? But who knows, this is just complete speculation.....

it's a very 'odd' article really???