[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Opinions needed 'students and carers allowance' - Carers UK Forum

Opinions needed 'students and carers allowance'

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi everyone can I first say thank you for taking the time to read my rant.

I'm a carer of a 10 year old child with ASD, and through hard work and plenty of coffees I have managed to complete an access to HE course and got myself a place at university to study law.
While calculating finance I have come across something, it is this that I need your opinion on.

In general -
If you are a full time student regardless of the amount of time you study or spend with your caree you LOSE your entitlement to carers allowance. Even with in official holiday time when caring responsibilities would be that of a none full time student.

A consequence of this is that if your caree is a child over the age of 7 you will also lose any entitlement to income support. This is also during holiday periods. Full time student carers on holiday time will be expects to claim job seekers allowance and look for paid employment.

Personally I think this is WRONG !!!!! I understand that during term times I will not be looking after my caree as much as I do now but during the holidays I will be his carer for 144 hrs per week. I will also be classed as an unemployed parents and not the carer I am.

I know of many carers who would like to use their experiences of being a carer in a professional field. Coupled with higher education qualification their experience would be invaluble to the wider community. Like all other students they will pay high tax's while paying back their student fee's and loans.

Surely not allowing a carer to claim carers allowance during the holidays or even with in term time is wrong. What do you think ?
Hi I am a Law graduate (with distinction) and I got carer's allowance whilst doing my degree. It just meant that doing my degree took longer because I did it part time. I already had an HNC in Accounting and an HNC in Administration and Information Management and this enabled me to start in at the 2nd year of my degree. It therefore took me 4 years to get my degree - not that it's done me a lot of good because the year before I graduated the Paralegal Society in Scotland told me that they recommend that Law graduates should look for a job outwith the legal profession as noone is employing Paralegals just now. Image Why wasn't I told that before I wasted 4 years of my life? In saying that I loved studying Law.

Eun
Hi I am a Law graduate (with distinction) .... the year before I graduated the Paralegal Society in Scotland told me that they recommend that Law graduates should look for a job outwith the legal profession as noone is employing Paralegals just now. Image Why wasn't I told that before I wasted 4 years of my life? In saying that I loved studying Law.
Eun
Well, at least you are eminently well qualified to sue them for misleading careers advice, ho ho!
Hi Scally feel like I haven't "spoken" to you in ages. I loved doing the research side of the degree the most - I think that's what I most miss. The peace and quiet, the smell of the old law books, I preferred that to the online searches etc. I did the degree as something to do that was just for me if you see what I mean rather than as a specific means of getting a job. Now that Robert's condition is worsening I would rather spend the time with him - not that he wants to all the time but we don't really have much of a choice, lol. He has managed to find a sports centre who offer Electric wheelchair football and he is hoping to go and see what that is like, he has really missed his Unihoc (electric wheelchair hockey) since it stopped.

Eun
Hi everyone can I first say thank you for taking the time to read my rant.

I'm a carer of a 10 year old child with ASD, and through hard work and plenty of coffees I have managed to complete an access to HE course and got myself a place at university to study law.
While calculating finance I have come across something, it is this that I need your opinion on.

In general -
If you are a full time student regardless of the amount of time you study or spend with your caree you LOSE your entitlement to carers allowance. Even with in official holiday time when caring responsibilities would be that of a none full time student.

A consequence of this is that if your caree is a child over the age of 7 you will also lose any entitlement to income support. This is also during holiday periods. Full time student carers on holiday time will be expects to claim job seekers allowance and look for paid employment.

Personally I think this is WRONG !!!!! I understand that during term times I will not be looking after my caree as much as I do now but during the holidays I will be his carer for 144 hrs per week. I will also be classed as an unemployed parents and not the carer I am.

I know of many carers who would like to use their experiences of being a carer in a professional field. Coupled with higher education qualification their experience would be invaluble to the wider community. Like all other students they will pay high tax's while paying back their student fee's and loans.

Surely not allowing a carer to claim carers allowance during the holidays or even with in term time is wrong. What do you think ?
As an undergrad I completly agree. I've had to do mine via the OU part time. However the flip side of that is due to the commitments and demands of parenting alone never mind dealing with the disabilities I couldn't have put in the quality time required for full time study.