Paying for care-workers coming in - can someone remind me...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi - sorry to be a bit ditzy on this, but can someone remind me what the rules are for having a professional care worker come in to do things like help an elderly person still living independently eg get up in the morning and so on?

If the person has property/savings/income of their own, do they have to use this to pay for the careworkers themselves, or is there any NHS/SS 'entitlement' to 'free visits' and so on (or is this dependent on just what the person's care needs are??)

I have a feeling that whilst the value of the property is not taken into account (ie, unlike residential care), if the person has savings/pension, they have to pay for the care-worker visits.

If this is so, ie, they have to self-fund, does that mean they can just go ahead and hire care-workers 'privately' themselves, directly (I did this with my own MIL when she needed extra help in her Abbeyfield supported living home).

Many thanks for reminding me of these basics! (It's for the MIL of a friend of mine who wants to stay in her own flat, but is now needing 'extra help' - that my friend is reluctant to be the only person to provide!!!!!!)

Thanks as ever, Jenny
If the person has over about £23,000 in savings it's self funding. Below that, subject to a financial assessment, the LA will contribute partly or fully. Has the mum applied for Attendance Allowance? If that is paid, it's for the additional care needed, NOT squirreled away! As always the helpline can give accurate figures, this is just a rough guide from personal experience.
Hi Jenny
Yes if savings exceed £23,250 (as you say property not counted if caring at home) then yes you can hire whoever you like as often as you like if you are above the threshold.
As you are getting close to the threshold you can seek a financial assessmnet from the local authority's social services department but if well above there is not much point.
If you are self funding the SS can still do the needs assessment biut they can only make suggestions as to appropriate care needs and up to the person what they pay for.

If self funding the SS should still be able to make recommedations of providers etc but much better to do your own reseach as SS will only know about the companies they have dealings with.
Thank you both!

But can I just clarify - is the value of the owned property taken into account in respect of the threshold, or only the annual income plus cash savings in bank accounts, in respect of that £23,500?

That's what I'm still a bit confused about!

The lady in question owns her own (small) flat, which is definitely worth more than £23,000, but she only has the state pension and savings. So IF the savings plus annual income are under £23,500 does that trigger the 'free care visits' (or, at least, subsidised)?

The question never arose for my own MIL as she went straight into residential care and so needed to sell her flat anyway.

Many thanks for any further clarification!
Yes Jenny, the value of the home is not counted towards the £23,250, that is just savings /income.
If the lady is below this limit of savings then she needs a financial assessment from the LA and then depending on her funds will need to contribute on a sliding scale or be fully funed by LA.
Brilliant! Thank you so much. I'll pass this on.

Many thanks! J