[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
not satisfied with carers agency - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

not satisfied with carers agency

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
That would be my only complaint about Dad`s current team of homecarers, the tidying up behind them.

One thing in particular.......they leave the bathmat (cotton, washable) on the floor and each time Dad goes into the bathroom he trips over it. Have asked them to either put it into the washing machine (we have three mats) each morning to leave the floor space clear, or to hang it over the half door on the walk in shower. Even a polite notice was shredded. The GP has noticed it and I asked him to mention it to homecare department and two different social workers and assessors from Crossroads and Befrienders. Tried taking them away, but they use a bath towel instead......and leave it on the floor for dad to trip over.

Incontinence pads should be bagged and binned. They pass the bin on the way out, but I find them piled up in the bathroom smelling beside the heater, or worse still in the kitchen bin beside the cooker.

Lovely girls otherwise....I am sure they think I am OCD, but surely they have been taught risk assessment on the many courses they seem to attend. Just thankful we got rid of the alcoholic one who used to take drink in for Dad.xx
They are paid care workers - not friends. Come in, do your jobs, get out is my feeling - I don't want to be their best buddies

This is how I see them. They're doing a job and can be easily be replaced but I think they forget that and get way too comfortable.

It is disgusting to leave pads near radiators! It is the main cause of serious infections Image

Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you had an alcoholic one! That is terrible.
That settles it I'm going to go straight to the social services x
Having had PA's for over 16 years, hubby and I came to the conclusion that because they are coming into someone's home, often they do not treat it as 'proper' work or as seriously as if they were working in a hospital with 'official' supervisors and managers. We do not count as their supervisor apparently! Whatever we say or ask them to do, often 'doesn't count', so we are ignored. This goes both for agency workers and the self-employed workers too.
Leaving pads around and other things, doesn't matter, because who is going to tell them off about it? YOU? So what? ..... YOU aren't their official boss, so it doesn't matter and it's you who has to clear things away.
Do you see my point?
Those examples are appalling !! Can't believe they leave pads around, or tripping hazards in bathroom. That sort of thing should go straight to social services. Would ask for change of agency if that's the standard of care worker you're getting. And Hannah - the careworker who called your mum after you complained should be sacked. Report to SS.
I think I must have been lucky. Over the last year I had to help them with dad's care because of the advanced dementia, so we worked as a team.You do build a relationship in those circumstances. Don't see what's wrong with that. Most were fantastic and also supported me through tough times with dad, it did get to me occasionally. My problems were with the manager, not providing regular workers/not giving time for travel etc. We had a few bad'uns but it really was the exception. Several continued to visit dad after they left the company, and came to his funeral. They were very fond of him. All I'm saying is that there are good careworkers out there.
I have complained ad nauseum to social services, but they organise the homecare team here so falling on deaf ears, even when their own high heid yin saw the problem for herself.

Some of the homecarers who attended my parents when mum was alive before we moved back home were absolute treasures, two of them even gave up their own time to help me out a couple of nights when we were left without cover, and they came to mum`s funeral, so agree there are some good ones, just a pity they don`t all see trip and health hazards in the same way.xx
Sorry, I don't mean to be so negative about the workers, but out of 16 years, we've only had a handful of good ones and only 2 who we would now call friends.
Of course there are good ones, our experience told us that they are few and far between.
I suggest you get on to SS about direct payments which is where you employ the carers we did this 5 years ago now and have not looked back we had many years of agency staff who whilst in many cases reasonable individuals are on minimum pay and employed under difficult conditions they will be paid for a 30 minute visit and no extra if the client needs extra then they are unpaid until they get to the next client.

Get an assesment of the hours the agency needs to do with two people and then after this is settled get the OT's to carry out a risk assesment to determine if you would need two people the reason for this is that it will effectivley double your hours which is sure to help especially in finding a couple of people to do the job.

The need for two carers is just a con the agencies have foisted on local authorities after all I bet you do the same by yourself.

SS will put you in touch with ( hopefully they do at least in this area) with an advisor who will help you set things up the paperwork is minimal and the payments will cover sick leave holidays and a payroll service etc you just need to ensure you have at least two people preferably three is you have the hours then they can cover each other for holidays etc.

We wish we had gone for direct payments as soon as they were available.
I'm having trouble with Mum's care workers. They visit 4 times a day. Mum is getting a bit forgetful now and recently was quite ill with a urine infection and confined to bed. She has a catheter at the moment.They sometimes did not put the creams on her pressure area or give her her tablets. The district nurse phoned them to complain as she develped a small pressure sore. I go in nearly every day, usually twice, and do what they forget to do. This morning the care worker has lost the key to the keysafe. She also didn't prompt Mum's tablets or put the cream on. I phoned the agency but there is no reply. I've phoned the social services contract team and am waiting to here back from them. Mum is up and about a bit today so can answer the door, but often feels too poorly to do so because of her heart failure. As we live in wales there is no allocated social worker so I have to go through the contracts team. The keysafe is on Mum's table and goodness knows where the key is.
Does not matter if your mum likes her you are doing the right thing to complain especially if they are making threats to your mum about the carer losing her round one the carer should not be ringing your mum shouting at her paying for care is a lot of money and people deserve suitable care keep complaining