[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
non working carer - Carers UK Forum

non working carer

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
As a non working carer by that i mean due to my role as a full time carer iam not available for work my caree does not want social services or local authority to be involved with her care needs at all .
How do i help the state /social services / local authority / n.h.s. in my role as a full time carer i make sure my caree who is 85 years old is kept safe and free from harm in the past she had many falls and due to her illness is prone to fractures so with a bit of luck my help will keep her out of the A/E department it has for the last 5 years i also make sure she is on a good diet and that our home is heated and safe for her heating and eating is as you know a big issue with many elderly / disabled i make sure she has exercise and physio at home i take her out to visit friends / family as often as i can again many elderly / disabled can become housebound .she has regular visits to doctors if hospital appointments are requiered i will transport her she has some memory loss nothing serious but i control her medication which is quite extensive i obviously do all the housework as she has asthma and other chest problems a dust free home is esential at the moment she is ok with washing bathing even easier now we have a wet room. one of my main problems is through the nigh she is up about 5/6 times and needs help re getting to and from the bathroom when out and about she has electric scooter as she can not walk any distance on some trips out its easier with wheelchair .
as her carer iam keeping her out of the social care system she does not have a social worker nor does she want one our G.P. talks to her at least once a month to make sure she is happy with things as they are thats with me as her carer hope new doctor will understand this and continue with this informal check on george chat as our old doctor called it .
so in a notshell there you are of course i do many other things but just look at the cash i save them the main saving is i believe the social care system local authority dont have to pay for social worker and they dont pay for care home or care workers to visit ( to let me work) care workers in our area £6/7 an hour care home £600 - £1-200 per week even if they took her pension which they do they will still have to find £1-000 per month so there you have it all that cash saved but what do i get and what do i want as a non working carer

WHAT I GET AND WHAT I WANT
£50 PER WEK CARERS ALLOWANCE
25% DISCOUNT ON COUNCIL TAX AND THATS YER LOT GEORGE NOT ONE OTHER BENEFIT.
WHY WELL LIKE MANY OTHERS IVE GOT A SMALL PRIVATE PENSION WHICH I PAY TAX ON AN EXTRA £30 THIS YEAR £150 NEXT YEAR SO NO HELP AT ALL

FIRST OF ALL CARERS ALLOWANCE SHOULD BE AT LEAST DOUBLED
MY PRIVATE PENSION SHOULD BE DISREGARDED THAT WAS NOT ASKED FOR AT THE NATIONAL STRATEGY THAT WOULD ENABLE ME TO CLAIM COUNCIL TAX / HOUSING BENEFIT AND EVEN INCOME SUPPORT THAT WOULD MEAN MY PRIVATE PENSION WOULD NOT BE SUBSIDISING MY WORK AS A CARER
FREE PRESCRIPTIONS
DENTAL )
OPTICAL) HELP AND NOT JUST FREE TESTS
FREE BUS TRAVEL WHEN WITH CAREE
RESPITE CARE AT LEAST 4 WEEKS PER YEAR BUT NOT JUST FOR MY CAREE BUT FOR ME TO GO ON A HOLIDAY .
PRIORITY TREATMENT AT HOSPITALS AND G.P`S
THATS ABOUT IT
GEORGE
ONE MORE THING AS IAM NEARLY 65 PENSIONERS SHOULD RECEIVE THE CARERS ALLOWANCE
I would hold my breathe for any help my this govement as iam 24/7 carer Like most carer I too try to hold down a fulltime job when I could but it impossible to do both so in end I had to pack it up. So with nearly 20 years as a carer trying to make ends meet year on year is getting impossible and with only £50 ICA plus £37 Income support nothing is going to chance I can’t see any govement pay for me to go back to work or bring in a carer while iam at work on £6/9 per hour I thing not while I can do it for £1.24 hour as I do around 70 hours of care each week. As long as we are prepare to carry caring for those we love then no government is going to help us carer’s if it going to cost money.
George - regarding free prescriptions go to your pharmacy and ask for a HC1/HC2 form if you've not already done so. If you qualify you're entitled to free prescriptions.
Ive asked for everthing available but my private pension which aint a lot bars me from any help at all if it were not for the old dolls pensions we could never cope as ive said we are paying for our own care .

GEORGE
George wrote
FIRST OF ALL CARERS ALLOWANCE SHOULD BE AT LEAST DOUBLED
MY PRIVATE PENSION SHOULD BE DISREGARDED THAT WAS NOT ASKED FOR AT THE NATIONAL STRATEGY THAT WOULD ENABLE ME TO CLAIM COUNCIL TAX / HOUSING BENEFIT AND EVEN INCOME SUPPORT THAT WOULD MEAN MY PRIVATE PENSION WOULD NOT BE SUBSIDISING MY WORK AS A CARER
FREE PRESCRIPTIONS
DENTAL )
OPTICAL) HELP AND NOT JUST FREE TESTS
FREE BUS TRAVEL WHEN WITH CAREE
RESPITE CARE AT LEAST 4 WEEKS PER YEAR BUT NOT JUST FOR MY CAREE BUT FOR ME TO GO ON A HOLIDAY .
PRIORITY TREATMENT AT HOSPITALS AND G.P`S
THATS ABOUT IT
GEORGE ONE MORE THING AS IAM NEARLY 65 PENSIONERS SHOULD RECEIVE THE CARERS ALLOWANCE
Practically identical to what carers asked for in the Carers Letter they sent about this time last year! They didn't "listen" then!
I've just had to change my glasses - I get the test free because Mum's got glaucoma and I'm over 40 (well over Image ) but I still have to pay for the glasses. Don't even start me on dentist - £16 for a scale and polish Image
I used to have insurance when at work but had to pay policy when retired kept it on for a coupld of years then had to give it up last year i paid for dental care and specs over £500 due to emergency had one visit to dental hospital as i was a carer i jumped q which was good of them but had to have tooth pulled but it was free but not from pain.

GEORGE
The amont of caring I do amounts to me being paid around 30p an hour through carers allowance. If you can manage a part-time job as well (like at home, so as you're still there to care in between working), to try and make ends meet, carers allowance is also taxable and is added on top of your part-time job's salary as earnings.