[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
No response from social services - Carers UK Forum

No response from social services

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I was told on Wednesday that the care agency can’t provide care for my father next Tuesday and Wednesday morning (the carer is on leave and they have a shortage). My Dad can’t get washed or mobilise by himself- he’s entirely dependent on care. I have to work on those days (I’ve used all my annual leave up for the year and my employers have said I can’t take more time). I told the agency to speak to the council who provide the care package but don’t think they have (on two previous ocassions they didn’t, no carer was provided my dad fell and lay on the floor overnight- a safeguarding report was raised but nothing seems to have happened as a consequence). I have emailed my fathers social worker and called her four times - still no response. I know it’s not might reaponsibikity but I don’t want any harm to come to him (he’s very vulnerable). What can I do? No one is returning my calls or emails. I’d be very grateful for your advice. Thank you.
Hi Faye
Off the top of my head (not having been in that situation, ) I'd go straight to Head of Social Services, or Head of Council and demand/complain that care is urgently needed in place.
I'd also be tempted to go public, perhaps on their facebook page , or similar.

I think its too potentially dangerous a situation to follow conventional routes. These days it's only those who shout loudest who get help.

The agency is surely obligated to provide care and the council needs to ensure they contract with agencies who can. Id contact head of social services and inform them of what you've been told.

I suspect the agency would really love for you to say that's ok, and give them permission to breach their contract. Please dont let them talk you into that!
Thank you for your responses. As we’ve only recently had a similar experience (which resulted in my father being hospitalised after he fell and was on the floor all night) I have emailed the Director of Adult social care and my MP but no response. As there were no consequences for them last time they left him alone for days (just a safeguarding report raised) I think they really just don’t care. Even saying I will go to the ombudsman means nothing. I genuinely feel that they just want him to die - one less to have to spend money on. And if he did die as a result of their negligence nothing would happen because he’s disabled and old. I feel so very fed up. I love my father. I want to hold a job, to pay my bills, but it just feels hopeless. He needs support but they won’t even give him what is in their care plan. I just can’t cope and feel so alone and powerless.
Hang in there. Can you phone anyone with the council and talk to them. Emails are good for documentation but perhaps the sqeaky wheel approach might get the council to sort something out faster....
Thank you.i have been trying to speak to my fathers social worker since Wednesday- left 8 messages on Friday. I also called her manager, the service manager and director of adult social care but no response. I think they are deliberately not responding as they don’t want to deal with it. I phoned the emergency duty social worker but they wouldn’t take a record dai do had to phone his social worker. I just think they don’t want to speak to me as they don’t want the responsibility? If anything happens to him they don’t want to be involved. I am desperate and don’t know what to do- he is not safe on his own (has fallen) and won’t be able to get himself ready for dialysis which he has to go to. I feel like they are pushing me so that I have to give up work and care for him full time (not just in the evenings and weekends). It all feels so hopeless.
I am sure others have better suggestions but if were me I think I would see a solicitor. They have a 'duty of care' surely?

I frankly would beg you not to give up your job and do not be blackmailed into doing so.
Hi Faye, it may be useful to email your local councillor or MP, they usually can get through to social services quite quickly, this situation is wrong. The duty of care does apply to the agency, they have to provide care if it has been assessed. Very upsetting and frustrating for you, hope you get help.

You need to ring the Council Complaints Officer, or ring the Director of Social Services and talk to his PA, or ask a councillor who is a member of the Social Services Committee.
Faye, You've really done your best to notify the council and care company that you can't, and shouldn't be expected to stand in for the care company. I just wonder if the care company was testing you to see if your father could get by in a pinch, and that they have been asking other families the same question so as to lighten the agency's load whilst they have their staff shortage.

Mum's care agency tried the same thing with me last Christmas, asking how many of the four visits she needed over that time. I said she needed all four and that's what she got!

It might be good to phone/email the agency and remind them that your father will require his regular visits and see what they say. They ought to know now and certainly by Monday what arrangements theyve made to cover for their lack of staff.

It's not your problem to help them with, even though I realise you don't need to be further stressed if anything were to happen to your dad (again).