New to caring

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi can anyone help me with some information I have decided to reduce my hrs at work so I can look after my mum and claim carers allowance, been on entitled to but find they take last years payments into account and my husbands salary ,should I still get carers allowance,if I reduce my hrs to 14 hrs my mum needs the help or will my income from last year or my partners income stop this I worked 32 hrs up untill now and want to claim for my mum. Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
Hi Bridget,
Does your mum get attendance allowance? If not you won't be able to claim carers allowance. My husband's salary has never been taken into account but I wasn't working before I became a carer so can't help with that, sorry. If you Google attendance allowance the gov.uk site should help you.
Take care
Tracy
Hello Bridget

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
I am also a carer for my elderly mother and part time for my MIL, and claimed for carers allowance, but because I am self employed with my husband and get £10.00 above the limit which is set for CA, my claim was thrown out. Both Mother and MIL recieve Attendance Allowance which is not means tested which I think is a better option.
Lesley_1602123 wrote:I am also a carer for my elderly mother and part time for my MIL, and claimed for carers allowance, but because I am self employed with my husband and get £10.00 above the limit which is set for CA, my claim was thrown out. Both Mother and MIL recieve Attendance Allowance which is not means tested which I think is a better option.
Hi Lesley

you could still claim Carers Allowance by making legitimate deductions to your earnings - in your case I would suggest paying into a private pension plan; 50% of any payments made into a plan can be deducted from your earnings so you would need to pay in a minimum of £20 (usually advised to make the payments slightly more to take into account variable earnings).

There is more information here (on that and other legitimate deductions you can make) in the Carers UK fact sheet on CA
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance
Lesley,
Others will explain this in more detail but 1) if you are self-employed, are you sure you have deducted all the expenses you can before calculating your income? 2) If you invest £20 in a pension scheme, you can deduct £10 from your income, so you are within the limits - but get the details from others who do this. There was a former member of the forum who knew all the details of keeping carers allowance so maybe search earlier messages.
Attendance allowance and CA are not alternatives - CA is for you, AA for the person you're caring for.
Thank you for your replies. After trying to argue my case with CA getting no further forward, as both Mother and MIL were already receiving AA, which they give to me, I decided not to try and claim CA, as I have neither the time nor energy to pursue it. As self employed it does mean that during the lean times I am recieving a wage of sorts for being their carer. This way it works out well, should either go for a long stay in hospital/care home then it is stopped. This way works for me, but I know that not everyone is in the same situation.