[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New thread about protest - Carers UK Forum

New thread about protest

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I acknowledge that realistically a national day of protest would need a lot of input from CUK and PRTC. However I would be grateful if you would assure us Matt that we won't be presented with a fait accompli. Will CUK discuss the various options/themes for protest with carers on this board.
Hi Belle

I'm not sure what you mean by fait accompli? It's hard to say how the day of protest will evolve but if Carers Uk is organising it and funding it then of course we will want high visibility for our organisation and our members. But if the day is to be a sucess then it must be more than just Carers UK which is why we would look to involve other organisations. And if it is to truly be a national day of action it must be about more than a London march. It must have a local element, a Scottish angle, a welsh angle.

In the last year we have carried out the largest ever consultation with carers we've ever done. We know exactly what the issues are that anger carers. Carers opinions inform everything we do, but the online forums are just a small part of that. The call for protest did not just come from the websites. It came also from our branches, our members and many others who do not use the internet.

We will think carefully about the aims of the protest. What will it achieve, who do we need to convince and what do we need to convince them of. For the protest to have any chance of achieving change it must have clear aims. But these are just my thoughts as a campaigns manager. Nothing has been agreed or decided yet.

All the best

matt
I acknowledge that realistically a national day of protest would need a lot of input from CUK and PRTC. However I would be grateful if you would assure us Matt that we won't be presented with a fait accompli. Will CUK discuss the various options/themes for protest with carers on this board.
Hi Belle

I'm not sure what you mean by fait accompli? I have no idea how the day of protest will evolve but if Carers Uk is organising it and funding it then of course we will want high visibility for our organisation and our members. But if the day is to be a sucess then it must be more than just Carers UK which is why we would look to involve other organisations. And if it is to truly be a national day of action it must be about more than a London march. It must have a local element, a Scottish angle, a welsh angle.

In the last year we have carried out the largest ever consultation with carers we've ever done. We know exactly what the issues are that anger carers. Carers opinions inform everything we do, but the online forums are just a small part of that. The call for protest did not just come from the websites. It came also from our branches, our members and many others who do not use the internet.

We will think carefully about the aims of the protest. What will it achieve, who do we need to convince and what do we need to convince them of. For the protest to have any chance of achieving change it must have clear aims. But these are just my thoughts as a campaigns manager. Nothing has been agreed or decided yet.

All the best

matt
there is alot of information hidden away in that post, I think it would be better if you started anew thread with CUK& PRTC's terms and conditions so we know what they are. Its better to clear the air just now and avoid any potentail stumbling blocks. The above does definetly warrant a thread of its own.
The above does definetly warrant a thread of its own.
This has been moved from a previous thread as suggested above.
there is alot of information hidden away in that post, I think it would be better if you started anew thread with CUK& PRTC's terms and conditions so we know what they are. Its better to clear the air just now and avoid any potentail stumbling blocks. The above does definetly warrant a thread of its own.
Hi anna

I can assure there is not any information 'hidden' in the post. It is what it is - my thoughts on the ongoing discussion. I am not hiding anything. I have said that Carers UK is supportive of the idea and we are talking amongst the staff here about what we might be able to do, but that's as far as it's got. My post above outlines some of the things we have discussed - how do we make it truly national? what might the specific call for action be? How do we involve the thousands of carer actvisits and campaigners right across the UK? etc etc

As I said above nothing has been decided. Plese let's not let this get out of hand by reading things that aren;t there. If you have specific questions pelase ask them I'll dowhat I can to answer them.

As communications and campaigns manager, if Carers UK gets involved in this it is likely to be me who is involved in organising, that's why I have opinions on it. I am not hiding anything, I am being upfront and honest about my thoughts. These are MY thoughts contributing to the debate. Before Carers UK can commit to anything it would have to go to our Trustees. My musings on the forum do not constitute an offical Carers Uk policy position!

Hope that explains a bit more

All the best

matt
thank you Matt, that may the case but for a reply to Belle it seemed to open more questions than it what it answered. Sorry for being seemingly overly cautious, but I am sure others would also like to know how commited CUK are to the protest and on what conditions.
Matt wrote:
Hi Belle
I'm not sure what you mean by fait accompli?
Fait accompli- something that is already done or decided and seems unalterable.

I wrote:
I would be grateful if you would assure us Matt that we won't be presented with a fait accompli. Will CUK discuss the various options/themes for protest with carers on this board.
Matt wrote]In the last year we have carried out the largest ever consultation with carers we've ever done. We know exactly what the issues are that anger carers. Carers opinions inform everything we do, but the online forums are just a small part of that. The call for protest did not just come from the websites. It came also from our branches, our members and many others who do not use the internet. [/quote]

And they welcomed the strategy? Image

I'll take that as a no then ......

Thank you for replying
Belle..
I think that the point that Matt is making about other non-online groups wishing to protest is perfectly valid, any protest has to be consensual between all interested parties, but I can also see where the concern comes from when it comes to who sets the agenda for the subject of the protest and I do think that the issues raised on all the boards have to be put before carers, CUK members and non-members, allowing them to vote on the issue that would make the most significant difference to their lives. It is terribly important that carers themselves too have ownership of this protest, we have so little say or control over the rest of our lives and to deny us ownership of the protest would simply disempower us further.
It is terribly important that carers themselves too have ownership of this protest, we have so little say or control over the rest of our lives and to deny us ownership of the protest would simply disempower us further.
100% agree

krys
Ive lost all interest in the whole thing do you honestly think they will listen they didn`t at the review .
Look where we are now just days after the review carer`s and caree`s on fixed incomes reliant or car`s for geting out and about and what do we see we are being priced off the roads and many elderly /disabled will this winter be faced with the choice of heating or eating the price of fresh food has gone through the roof and as we know if you are elderly/disabled you do need a good diet but can we afford it ?
Government ministers say we must help the disadvantaged HOW soup kitchens the whole system is a joke .

GEORGE===
hi george

please dont loose interest, this protest will go ahead,
many good people have come onto the forums, many have joined
to post, and they are all in agreement.
it takes a little time, but chin up Image

love
krys
xxxx