[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New Carers UK survey on Direct Payments - your help needed - Carers UK Forum

New Carers UK survey on Direct Payments - your help needed

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Survey on Direct Payments

Carers UK needs your help with a survey. Carers UK wants to find out what the reality is, for carers and direct payments. This is why we want to hear your story.

We will use the experiences of carers around the country to press for change and share what works for carers. Because this is a very specific survey about social care we can only accept surveys from
a) current carers in the UK
b) where the person they care for is receiving a service wholly or partly funded through Social Services.

Any information you give will be confidential. Closing date for responses is Monday 16th June 2008.

What is a Direct Payment and why are we doing a survey?
A direct payment is money given to disabled people and carers so they can sort out their own care package rather than have support services from social services/social work departments. Some carers and disabled people say direct payments have changed their lives for the better by giving them choice and control. Some carers say they feel like they are forced into accepting direct payments when they don’t really want them or fully understand how they work.

TAKE PART IN THE SURVEY NOW!
Done Matt, although things maybe a bit different here in Scotland.

Remember the hassles between the differing areas when I was settling our D.P. up? Image
Now wasn't that an issue in itself! Image

marie x
Why is the survey asking only for people who are allready recieving a service from social services?
What about carers who's carees dont agree to social service provision?
Are cuk going to ignore these carers?
Or, will we be forced to agree to it re the new upcoming changes?
The survey is about the experiences of people receiving services, Tinks. That's not to say that your experiences (and those of other carers in the same situation) are not important in any way.

What it is about is the fact that the government is "selling" Direct Payments and Individualised Budgets as the "cure" for the shockingly inadequate system we have at the moment. It appears that CUK wants to hear from carers what their experiences are around this to highlight any issues that make it harder for carers to "benefit" from the "cure."
First of all i never want to work with social services secondly if the benefits system paid the full amount to both disable / elderly/ young people and carers had the rate of pay they deserve I.B`S & D.P`S would not be needed.

but what gets me why do carers uk need such a survey surely all this should have been done before the review which will now report on or around the 12th June.

was the issue of direct payments discussed during the review if it was what did carers uk say to review board.

GEORGE===
Marie - You're right of course but we have kept the survey broad so we can include carers in all nations. We'll address some of the national differences in the research report.

Tinks - we are surveying people's experiences of DP's. We can't do that if they don't get a service. That is not the same as ignoring people who do not get a service, it is just tragetting your work. Remember it was Carers UK who fought for Carers to have the right to have their own assessment and get services in their own right, if the person they care for refused any contact with Social sevrices.

George - I wish it were the case but this certainly won't be sorted out in the Carers Strategy, and I dont think anyone ever expected it would be. Social Care is a much much bigger issue than carers, it affects all of society. The forthcoming Green Paper on Social Care will push the Government's agenda further. In carrying out this research at this time we are repsonding to the concerns carers are raising with us, both here on this forum and in person at all our local meetings and in the hundreds of calls we take each week.
Just to add that direct payments was one of the issues that was raised by carers at the consultation events which Carers UK held to inform our submissions. We want to have more detailed evidence specifically on carers' experiences of direct payments.
Hi. I filled in the survey but because we are funded by the NHS and not social services, we don't qualify, which is the question I would like answered. This is why I continued with the survey after reading the bit "funded by social services". Hope I get somewhere. Image
But surely it would inform the research if carers who requested DPs and were refused them or, indeed, any services at all were included? If you narrow your area of research you're going to get absolutely no insight into of the reality for carers for whom DPs would have provided a solution and who could have used DPs effectively but were deterred from doing so, you'll be only focusing on the few not the many.
But surely it would inform the research if carers who requested DPs and were refused them or, indeed, any services at all were included? If you narrow your area of research you're going to get absolutely no insight into of the reality for carers for whom DPs would have provided a solution and who could have used DPs effectively but were deterred from doing so, you'll be only focusing on the few not the many.
You have a point and we did consider it. However given the resources available to us we felt it would be more effective to concentrate on those who are getting DP's or may be about to get DP's. This reserach will be about carers experiences of Direct payments, both how they work in practice and how they are being promoted. And that's all.

The issue about refusing access and eligibility critieria is of course critically important. But that research is already in the public domain. Information is already collected across the country from councils on things like how many assessments were refused services, how many carer's assessments etc. I'm not sayign ti wouldn;t be important to specifcally ask carers about it, but we made the decision, given resources, to limit the scope of our work to carers' views on Direct Payment.