Need help / advice Pet rehoming

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
If it were me the animal would have been put to sleep as soon as possible - whats to say it won't do this to someone else? How can you allow this thing to be rehomed like this - you are putting the next owner at risk of attack - it should have been put down right away the first time it did this.

Eun
I am seriously offended by this, "Norman" has been with me and my wife for ten years and as such was part of the family, we still love him in spite of what has happened, im not stupid enough to allow him to be rehomed in a house with children we were very clear about that when trying to rehome him, he has gone to a lady who has had cats all her life and knows how they can be and how to handle them, he will be very happy where he is.
Im GLAD we were able to rehome him, you dont just put a healthy animal down if there is a chance of rehoming successfully.
We did consult with the vets and they were of the same opinion that putting him down wasnt necesarily the right thing to do.
If it were me the animal would have been put to sleep as soon as possible - whats to say it won't do this to someone else? How can you allow this thing to be rehomed like this - you are putting the next owner at risk of attack - it should have been put down right away the first time it did this.

Eun
Putting Norman to sleep does seem a little harsh in this situation, Eun. Even the RSPCA will re-home pets that don't get on with children of a certain age range or other pets - just not with people similar to those that the pet attacked last time. Norman is in a different situation now which might be a better place for him to spend his twilight years. This can be a great thing for him and far better than dying.
Wow Eun, very strong words
Like others, I don't agree. putting the cat down never even entered my head and I am not a cat person!
This cat was a family pet, way before the baby came, the cat got jealous.
I am willing to bet the cat will be happy and calm again in it's new home
Simon, well done
xx
Nor do I agree with putting a healthy animal down who can be rehomed with the right people.
Animals (and let's not forget people are animals too) do not derserve to be killed or thrown away just because circumstances changed.
Simon you don't stop loving a family member just because they don't live with you any more Image
((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))
Simon there was no offence meant but I am entitled to express my opinion. If this were a lion or a tiger that had gone rogue it would be shot in order to protect humanity. As far as I can see the only difference here is size.

It is admirable that you are protecting your wife and child by getting rid of this animal. My worry is that if an animal can do this once (and by your own admission the cat has done it more than once) to your family then it will do it again to someone else and they might not be so lucky next time.

Will the vet take responsibility when the cat takes someones eyes out - I don't think so. "Member of the family" - really? Its an animal not a human being. A lot of pet owners seem to put anthropomorphic tendencies on to their pets. I used to own a cat many years ago but I did not regard it the same as a human being - it was an animal.

Ladybird what compassion did the cat have? None. OK rehoming might be great for the cat but as I have said what about the person it is rehomed with - don't they have rights to their own health and safety too?

I would not have an animal in my house - I don't think that they can ever be fully trusted and no matter how clean you are they smell. You can always smell an animal when you go into a house that has one. I didn't believe this when I stayed with my mum and we had the cat but after I moved out whenever I went back you could smell it (and my mum is a very clean person and keeps a very clean home).

Once again I am not trying to offend anyone - just expressing an opinion.

Eun
Simon, so pleased you have found a new home for Norman. Heart wrenching though it is, you have done the right thing. It wasn't safe to keep him any longer because of your little'un, and the new home without children and an experienced cat owner (who is fully aware with the situation) sounds a great option.

If you keep in touch with the new owner, let us know how Norman settles.

Melly1
Thanks Melly I will do that.
We miss him around here, the house seems strangely empty without him,
Trouble is we do have another cat a tiny teeny weeny 18 month old black and white who is loads of fun and always upto mischeif and also very affectionate.
So far she has always given littlun a wide birth but obviously as littlun grows and gets faster there will come a time when the cat will be caught lol.
Now truly in my heart of hearts I dont think we will have the same situation as with Norman but obviously what has happened does leave me wondering wether its right to keep her aswell.
I honestly dont beleive "Jamima" will attack in a malicious manner the way Norman did, that said she will only ever have one chance also, but I am thinking about things especially as we may well be moving again soon (thats another story altogether) which means more upheaval for the rest of us.

Just not sure what to do at the moment,
Hi Simon, you did the right thing, i do not think you will have the same problem with the kitten, as it is growing up with the family, good luck and take care.
I doubt if you'll have the same problem Simon as they will have 'grown up' together Image
Hi Simon,

I agree with Paul and Myrtle.

Growing up with pets teaches children so much and the pleasure they can give is enormous. Start educating little one early and all will be fine.

melly1