[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
How do I become a Carer? - Carers UK Forum

How do I become a Carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi All

Just to place my situation in a bit of context:

My parents are in their 70s and while they are still mobile they are not as able to do things as well as they could. As I’m presenting retraining to change careers, I’ve recently moved back home in order to minimise my outgoings. Since moving back to be with my parents, I’ve realised that they do, perhaps, need some support. Although I don’t think they’re doing too badly for their ages, my dad has had a knee replacement which means he struggles to walk for any distance and my mum has various conditions, none life threatening as far as we know (she refuses to see the doctor who invariably tells her what she doesn’t want to hear).

I have no interest in getting paid or receiving benefits, but I thought it might be useful to get myself registered as their Carer. So my question is, does anyone know whether this is viable, or even possible?

Many thanks

Leigh
Hi Leigh ... welcome to the canteen.

Becoming another addition to the 7.8 million strong family / kinship carer army ?

Join ?

A volunteer ?

We don't come across many who have " Freely " volunteered.

Most on here are either drafted or press ganged ... some at the point of a bayonet.

Register as a carer ?

Around 6.5 million of our army are UNKNOWN / IDENTIFIED as carers to the Authorities.

Let our Lord Kitch set out what's in store for you :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-an ... rd%20kitch

In PLAIN English , no punches pulled ... factually correct down to the last penny.

Have a read , and then return to us here on this forum.

Bear in mind that you have now read about us ... want to experience what far too many have experienced ... some for 70+ years ... others who started caring for a fellow sibling in their pre teen years and still caring just shy of the official retirement age ... in a real life setting ?

Finances ?

Online benefit calculator a MUST ... try a " What if " ... assuming Carers Allowance as your only income ... imagine trying to live on the result for the next 10 / 20 years ?

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Elderly parents ?

Regretably , there is only one direction for them ... downhill ... some faster than others.

Specific questions / general advice ... take your pick.

( Support ? Assessments ? Housing / Protecting the family home ? Benefits ? etc. etc. )

Others will be along in response to your posting.

Bleak ?

Welcome to our world ... Carerland !
Hi Leigh

Speak to your parent's GP surgery and get yourself listed as carer with the GP. This makes life easier regarding communication and getting information further down the road.
Perhaps you are one of the fortunate few where money is really no issue but if you are typical of many and just comfortably off with own home etc then do think very carefully about the financial implications. They can become very great indeed at some point in the future.
Hi Leigh, welcome to the forum.
So many people have come to the forum in a dreadful situation, unaware that they were about to be made homeless!

So here are a few basic questions, there is a specific reason for asking each question.

Do you have Power of Attorney sorted out for both parents?
Have they made a will?
Do they own the house where they live?
If so, who owns it, mum, dad, or jointly?
Do you have another property of your own somewhere else?
Do they have over £23,000 in savings each, or over £46,000 in joint accounts? (Yes/No)
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 am
Do you have Power of Attorney sorted out for both parents?
Have they made a will?
Do they own the house where they live?
If so, who owns it, mum, dad, or jointly?
Do you have another property of your own somewhere else?
Do they have over £23,000 in savings each, or over £46,000 in joint accounts? (Yes/No)
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Many thanks for your replies and apologies for not replying to this sooner (Nearly 6 months have elapsed!)

In answer to your questions-

1. No power of attorney
2. Yes they do
3. Dad
4. No
5. Yes, dad does but not much more than this.
6. Yes, a younger sister.

I will be contacting my GP (we all share the same one) in the next few days.
I'd just like to say that I freely volunteered despite all the discouragement I was given and I still wouldn't have it any other way, despite all the grief the authorities give me.
Do please sort out lasting powers of attorney as soon as you can. It is much easier and cheaper than waiting until you need them and having to go down the court of protection route.
nhshater wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:49 pm
I'd just like to say that I freely volunteered despite all the discouragement I was given and I still wouldn't have it any other way, despite all the grief the authorities give me.
Why did the authorities give you grief?
Trying to get healthcare. Trying to get care. Even just trying to get a repeat prescription. Everything seems to be a battle and I won't do things the way that suits them if it doesn't suit us.
Leigh, please look at Sara's new post today about Deputyship. This is my point about getting lasting powers of attorney in place asap. It sounds even worse than I thought.