Need advice

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all. I'm currently 17 years old, and I'm turning 18 soon. I was wondering if there is any funding available for Driving Lessons, to drive my mums car to help her with her struggles of shopping, take her to hospital when needed, ect.
She had a car crash in 2011, and was made disabled as such. She can still move about, but with great pain. She has CFS, ME, COPD, Hyper Thyroid, and lots of other things.
She doesn't have the Mobility car, she just has her own personal private car..
Would I be able to qualify or anything ? I've looked around and hardly found anything of use.

Hi Will, welcome to the forum.
Is mum claiming Disability Living Allowance/PIP? Has she had a Needs Assessment from Social Services? Have you had a Carers Assessment? Different areas pay for different things, it's a postcode lottery I'm afraid.
Please make sure you keep up your own life and studies, as well as supporting mum. Don't let your education suffer.
Hi, if your mum is still mobile enough to get into her car as a passenger, she can teach you to drive, and you can have (relatively) cheap(ish!) insurance as a provisional licence holder, driving her car. Since you want to be able to drive to be her 'chauffeur' this would work, wouldn't it?

Car insurance for your age to drive your OWN car, or even to be a full licence holder driving your mum's car is horrendously expensive - do check it out but it's quite, quite dreadful (I remember this from my own son) (but I do remember some kind of 'deal' that could be had when he was only provisional, driving my car.....)

If all you need to do is be your mum's chauffeur, effectively, then you may find it cheaper to stay with a provisional licence, to get that cheaper insurance???

Premiums for young males don't really start to drop until several years out from getting their driving licence. My son got his the earliest possible, but now in his early twenties with about five/six years of no claims bonus etc, his insurance is only JUST becoming 'reasonable' (ie, coming down closer to mine).

Have you downloaded any of the apps etc that will teach you the theory aspect of the driving test? I'm pretty sure they are cheap/free off the Internet, otherwise you can buy the software (there's a lot of second hand market as it gets passed on once the user passes their theory test!), or even borrow it from your local library. Practice 'driving onscreen' as much as you can, to hone your reactions etc (if you are a gamer they are probably pretty good anyway!)

I don't know whether this is feasible, but I'm wondering whether if any of your mates are having driving lessons, whether you would be able to 'sit in' with them, in the backseat, so you get the benefit of the instructor's instruction, even if you can't do the driving yourself. You might learn a fair amount that way??

If you do run to driving lessons, shop around a lot, plus if you can buy in bulk, you usually end up with one 'free' lesson at least.

Look out for AA 'driving experience days' that schools may offer. My son's did. A bunch of them went into the car park after school and the AA guy turned up (I think it was AA - it might have been the police, thinking about it, as they wanted to inculcate 'safe driving' principles in the kids about to be let loose on the roads!), and everyone in the session got a turn driving the car around the car park, and possibly even got a voucher for a free driving lesson, something like that. It was a good experience I recall.

Finally, do check out the Motobility scheme. You will doubtless need to be a driver with a full clean licence (I assume?) BUT, if your mum qualifies, then it can be an incredibly good deal! My niece with disabilities has a Motobility car, and her partner can drive it 'for her benefit' (I think, though would need to check, that that includes her not actually being in it at the time, but, say, he's gone supermarket shopping - ie, something she benefits from, and would not be able to do were it not for the car)(they live in the countryside).

Their car comes insured AND taxed, so they just have to put fuel in it. (I think it's a new one, so is under warrenty for servicing etc etc).

IF your mum qualifies, and IF you would qualify once you pass your test - ie, if they don't mind such young drivers - then ONE possibility might be to sell your mum's current car, and use the money it raises to pay for your driving lessons, so you can pass the test and then get the Motobility car!

Remember though, the key thing about learning to drive is PRACTICE. In a way, lessons are 'unnecessary' providing you get the instructions from a good driver (even if your mum needs to be in the car while your drive it, you could, maybe, have a passenger who is your 'instructor', anyone who is a competent driver???). That said, if you can afford it, a few lessons just before you take the test are a good idea, simply to 'teach to the test' so to speak. (The final lesson is usually a 'mock test').

With driving tests costing so much these days, and the theory as well, it makes sense to try and pass first time.....

I do wish you all the best, and your mum is a lucky woman to have such a great son!!! :)