[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
National Carers summit - Carers UK Forum

National Carers summit

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
You can now hear what went on at the National Carers Summit which took place on 8th November. At the Summit carers voted on their priorities for change and debated key topics such as funding care, carer benefits and breaks. You can hear the contributions from Government Ministers Anne McGuire and Ivan Lewis.

more information here.
http://www.carersuk.org/Getinvolved/Nat ... rersSummit
Thanks for that link Gavin.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but each topic I click on brings the same debate up,the Income related one.Can someone else check please so I know if its me thats wrong.
I am going to try make time later today to listen to the interviews etc.

Based on what I have heard so far but not knowing if cost would be an issue,what I would liked to have seen was those same topics in a poll online across all carer forums and also including some of the other charities like Age Concern and Disability ones.Or even a survey with a few questions so we could have had actual category breakdowns which showed us say age of the carer,roughly how many hours they cared for,who they cared for.We have to try reach as many carers as possible.

We have partnerships in place already of carer/disability organisations.Maybe in future each one could take responsibilty in gathering this information ahead of summits/consultation events.

Just a thought.

Rosemary
does anybody else think we are making progress?, or like me worry that we are the forgotten problem in society that the govrnment refuses to accept excists?............ it doesn't look very encouraging does it?
Yes Rosemary I too keep getting the same topic for each one I click on, so no its not just you! Hope that your well..

Take care
Maryann x
Me too Image
It's just as well it's the income one as it's the most impact in my opinion.
marie x
It looks to me as though members will end up with a "pick and mix" benefits system to me its quite clear the carers allowance should be increased to reflect the work we do .
all this talk about just how disabled your caree is how much care they need how much rspite care they need can they be left alone for short time or do they require sitter do you care for more then one me thinks we are going down the wrong track .
your caree has his / her own income ie benefits /pensions that is theirs for them the person caring for them has his/her own income the carers allowance is reward for looking after the caree and should reflect the money we save the tax payer in my case i have a small works pension which means i cant get any other help apart from 25% discount on council tax so my own income which should be for me to spend on myself is often used to subsidise some of the extra help we need .
i believe we will end up with means tested benefits and someone like me would lose out we are all fighting for the allowance to be paid when we reach pensionable age and that is a worthy cause but dont allow the state to means test benefits .

GEORGE

NO I DONT THINK WE ARE MAKING ANY PROGRESS ALL POLITICAL GROUPS ARE THE SAME WE WILL GET NOWT WHEN COMMISSION REPORTS NEXT YEAR IT WILL DO NOWT FOR US THEN WE WILL HAVE ELECTION CALLED AND CARERS PROBLEMS WILL ONCE AGAIN BE PUT ON THE BACK BURNER
Many times we have heard minimum wage/social wage mentioned.I know they were both aired at the Newcastle event I attended.

What follows is a post from another site but permission been given to use it.

Firstly , anyone not agree that the current benefit system needs replacing to reflect our changed needs ?

Good , let me introduce the concept of the Social Wage.

Who for ? The elderly , the disabled ( higher rate DLA & AA ) and their carers.

What would it replace ? State Pension DLA AA Carers Allowance Income support Carers Premium & any others directly related.

Level of Social Wage ? A percentage of the average wage , rising with average earnings. The politics involved will be the actual percentage applied. Try 50% as a starter , an additional 20% if any claimant fell under more than one category , per category .

Benefit ? At long last , a simple system which , is not only fair , but instantly removes the stigma of claiming benefits in the first place , and ensures that monies go to the claimant rather than dangled in front of them ( eg. current take up of benefits ).

How funded ? Variety of ways open , I leave that to the economists amongst posters BUT don't shoot down the concept because , on initial calculations , too costly. Try NI contributions towards a Social Wage ... the initial concept of NI is , perhaps , 40 years past it's sell by date ?

Initial soundings across 'Carer' disability forums have been favourable , how about the politicos and others on this Forum.

You never know , it could be a real vote winner !

Any comments on above??
Many times we have heard minimum wage/social wage mentioned.I know they were both aired at the Newcastle event I attended.

What follows is a post from another site but permission been given to use it.

Firstly , anyone not agree that the current benefit system needs replacing to reflect our changed needs ?

Good , let me introduce the concept of the Social Wage.

Who for ? The elderly , the disabled ( higher rate DLA & AA ) and their carers.

What would it replace ? State Pension DLA AA Carers Allowance Income support Carers Premium & any others directly related.

Level of Social Wage ? A percentage of the average wage , rising with average earnings. The politics involved will be the actual percentage applied. Try 50% as a starter , an additional 20% if any claimant fell under more than one category , per category .

Benefit ? At long last , a simple system which , is not only fair , but instantly removes the stigma of claiming benefits in the first place , and ensures that monies go to the claimant rather than dangled in front of them ( eg. current take up of benefits ).

How funded ? Variety of ways open , I leave that to the economists amongst posters BUT don't shoot down the concept because , on initial calculations , too costly. Try NI contributions towards a Social Wage ... the initial concept of NI is , perhaps , 40 years past it's sell by date ?

Initial soundings across 'Carer' disability forums have been favourable , how about the politicos and others on this Forum.

You never know , it could be a real vote winner !

Any comments on above??
The green party had is as part of their manifesto in this years Scottish elections. It must be the I wish for all Carers?

Any government that fund 2 wars can fund the looking after those that look after the those that Care for the sick, old, frail and handicapped in our society. The moneys there , its just where priorities lie.

The soundings on Carers boards are favourable, but not so favourable from the politicians.......just like every other time Carers are mentioned
Hi sorry about the links. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Gavin
I've been supporting the concept of the social wage for years, and I have to confess I am now a signed up member of the Green Party - because all the other manifestos are total pants, to be honest. And you no longer have to wear sandals and smoke weird substances to join, actually most Greens are perfectly normal. Heck, we tried all the others, they all screwed us up, so now its gotta be Greentime Image