[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Myths about being on benefits - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Myths about being on benefits

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
most of my mates , in the early days thought i received benefits like H.B. I.S. council tax , but when they were informed that due to my OWN PRIVATE PENSION i get no help at all, they just could not believe it... al i get like many others is £53 per week not one penny more ......
yet many see us as scroungers ......
Another myth is that if there are 2 people caring and not working, you get everything paid for you, and benifits as well. Rubbish, apart from carers allowance we are intitled to zilch, nought, nothing, apparently we can run a house eat and do everything on 53 pounds aweek. Would love to see the people who call us scroungers live on that.
we muust be getting a lot ,ithink or gather thats the reaction media fuelled of coarse ,oh,oh now i,ve done it again yes frivilous spending heh but,what price family happiness 21.9% apr credit cards .Everybody in my position would do the same dont worry after 15years caring I know my own responsibility Ill pay back soon .A lot of camping and car boot sales withmy wife next year who knows ?us rich carers I would say giggle and juggle to get somthing out of nothing ,
hi ,we have taken the caravan away 4 times this year ,but i still have to look after mal .so like most things to do with this caring lark nothing is black and white
I agree holidays are motivators not carers treats but working holidays,although next week for the first time my wife has a holiday on her own at ms centre leuchie house she is looking forward to it nearly packed,the councill are paying under carer budget good socialworker helped arrange the break. Ive booked a 5 day trip to brugge with my two kids to keep busy .
Carer's Allowance, oh yes, Alex knows about that one (or rather lack of it) when he was at Uni.

Another one, not benefits, but nonetheless a myth is: "Don't you automatically get care provided?" - no you don't. Priority is given to those people who live (or used to) alone, who have nobody to look after them when they get discharged from hospital, which is only right. But for those who have relatives, or friends it is usually automatically assumed that they will take on the caring role.
you know,when one hears,and its fairly often one does hear this,that well-used term"Oh,Somthing should be done about that",when a non-carer hears of, what amounts to, a state handout for being a carer,that most pathetic level of help given by our gratefull state,for the role we play as carers,im reminded of the words of the-then,King Edward VIII,when he visited the poor,devastated, areas of the south wales mining comunities in 1936.There is some debate asto his actual words on that visit.Either somthing "Must" or "Will" be done,either way,those words were well-meant,maybe heartfelt,but empty rhetoric.such is the case today.i fully expect the present political elite to spout the mantra we often here,at carers sumits,saying how jolly good we all are,how splendid.utter twaddle,weasle-words.carers do the best they can with utterly insulting levels of support,and no one gives a hoot.if there was one ounce of any serious attempt to respond to the true needs of carers,to bring us out of poverty,then,yes,you could respect those words,but it remains all......

meaningless rhetoric,soundbites.
Frazer, glad that time has come round for you.
I do hope it goes well next week, and your wife is fine with the respite care as well. You and the children have a great few days, won't you?Take a few pics for us us to see.x
Fran, yes, when my Dad was being discharged from A and E, two black swollen eyes, broken nose and nasty grazes on his hands after a fall,they expected me with three carees at that time, to look after Dad too!
Lazydaisy ,thanks ,!all looking forward to it now. Frazer
"Don't you automatically get care provided?" - no you don't. Priority is given to those people who live (or used to) alone, who have nobody to look after them when they get discharged from hospital, which is only right. But for those who have relatives, or friends it is usually automatically assumed that they will take on the caring role.
How true. When I took on the care of my sister I naively thought I would get help - ha ha! I also asked about the possibility of her being housed in the community close by so we could lead our seperate lives but we could still have a lot of input in her life as there were many LD people being housed in that way at the time. It took a while before I realised that the people getting the community housing were all people who had been in institutional care or whose parents had died and no one had stepped forward to take the care on. I took this up with a social worker who just said that's the way it goes. I would have throw my sis on the street before they would intervene. After kicking up a fuss she was offered a place in a house - it was totally unsuitable- they were just going thru the motions and could say one had been offered. If there is a caring relative on the scene the authorities don't want to know. I know a lot of parents with adult LD children who want to see their child settled happily somewhere else so they can die in the knowledge their child is cared for, but most know they will have to be incapable or dead before the LA steps in. My sis has been with us so long now that she doesn't want to move and we've pretty much accepted we will, hopefully, grow old together.