[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mythical 24/7 Carers? - Page 8 - Carers UK Forum

Mythical 24/7 Carers?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
103 posts
when do we turn off? Never
when do we not worry? never
That's the same for every carer, isn't it?

I'm not caring 24/7 in the way others are providing care around the clock, but I'm permanently on call for more than one family member (I'm "reserve"/secondary for my parents and sister), as well as for Mike and now Gill.
Vicky: I have no idea who Glen Hoddle is, or why he was sacked from what, but it seems to me that sacking someone because they have a philosophy which differs from someone else is a strange way to practice tolerance.

Belle and Excalibur: It's OK, I'm not here to force opinions on anyone, but we are all free to express our opinions and beliefs - and while this is not the time or place to go into it further, my opinions are not based on a need to "cling on" to anything but have been validated to me many times over.

Lazydaisy, it certainly sounds as though you have your hands full, and my heart goes out to you too. Of course no-one is ever going to fill that hole in your heart that Rhys left, and that's as it should be - Rhys lived, and there needs to always be a special place for him in your heart. It's wonderful thought that you can celebrate Ben's birthday with joy, and I do hope you have a wonderful time. Image

Once again, many hugs to you.
Sandysea he was a footballer and briefly England manager he was sacked because his philosophy was considered offensive to the disabled. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs but he was a public figure and many people found his comments offensive.
If you think about it the notion that the disabled or their carees were some kind of sinner in a past life is not exactly helpful and one that I personally don't buy into.
I think there is a religion thread on here somewhere where this could be discussed though.
Vicky
Heart felt hugs to (((((Lazydaisy and Krys))))) many years ago my parents lost their adult child, my brother, sadly found life to difficult to cope with and committed suicide, they needed a great deal of support for a long long time afterwards, I don't think anyone ever gets over loosing a child but time does, well not exactly heal, maybe more blunts the pain. By one of life's very odd coincidences my daughter was born exactly one year later to the day that my brother died, she was born at 3.05 am my brother died around 3pm my daughter didn't replace my brother but her birth in a way help to make that anniversary a day to celebrate as well as a day to mourn, if that makes sense?
Belle wrote
i do find the idea that people who suffer in this life are here to 'learn' some lesson or repay wrong done in a past life pretty offensive.
So would I if the suffering was inflicted as a punishment Image , rather than a choice made by a soul choosing their next lesson/experience of life on earth.
As Shakespear said "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Cheryl x
Cheryl

My dad died on our 28th Wedding Anniversary 3 weeks ago today. We simply couldn't bring ourselves to open the presents and cards. I don't think our wedding anniversary which should be a time for celebration will ever be the same again Image

Eun
sandysea wrote: [quote]Belle and Excalibur]

Well yes and no. How do you feel about rascist remarks for example. Actually i'm not saying you shouldnt post what you posted just that i personally find your beliefs very hard to stomach.

To be honest I am usually very reluctant to enter into arguments about religion. If someone finds a set of beliefs that comforts them and helps them cope with life then who am i to begrudge them that comfort. It's also impossible to apply logic to an argument that is essentially about faith. Neither of us can prove we are right.

I suppose part of my problem with what you are saying is that religion can be used to justify inaction over unfairness and inequality in the world. If you follow the argument that we choose to experience suffering (be it mental or physical) then why try to do anything to alleviate suffering. After all it's all going to sorted in the next life(or not).

And sorry Cheryl but the saying that we choose pain, illness etc is just as offensive to me as saying it is a punishment (an opinion i am also free to express).

Part of my problem with what Sandysea said is personal i guess. I have watched my gentle kind family going through hell this year. There might be more things in heaven and earth etc but nothing will ever convince me that that suffering has worth.
I dont mind people holding spiritual beliefs in the slightest, as long as are sensitive to the views of others. I'm rather anti-religion as I used to get regularly beaten by the Catholic priests and brothers at my school, so I probably tend to over-react a bit when generalised statements are made. I associate religion with bullying.
But the biggest source of conflict doesnt come from disagreement between those with no religious beliefs (humanists, athiests and the like) and those with beliefs, it usually comes from people holding strong but opposing religious beliefs.
I note this thread has veered off topic. Normal response would be to split it so we have a seperate thread on religion, but I think given the way it has crossed over within individual threads, it would make both threads more difficult to follow. So for the time being I'm just noting it and you guys can decide if you want to start a new thread on this or let this one run it's course.

Matt
((((Eun))) sorry to hear about your dad, yes I can understand your feelings.
I think with my daughter it was different partly because it was new baby and first grand-daughter that my parents would have contact with, my brother had a baby daughter as well but there was so much blame and obvious ill feeling concerning his death that no way they would get to see his daughter. As well we could never have hidden from her the date my brother died so we kind of had to turn it around to a positive thing for her sake. Life has so many twists and turns, good times, bad times and hell on earth times hard to find a rational explaination for any of them Image
I note this thread has veered off topic. Normal response would be to split it so we have a seperate thread on religion, but I think given the way it has crossed over within individual threads, it would make both threads more difficult to follow. So for the time being I'm just noting it and you guys can decide if you want to start a new thread on this or let this one run it's course.

Matt
Tried to steer it back, Matt, honest! Image
103 posts