[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mythical 24/7 Carers? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Mythical 24/7 Carers?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
103 posts
Sort of 'walk a mile in my shoes' Paul.
But if we don't know of different ways different carers use to cope, then we could well miss out on knowing things that could help us, even if we couldn't do it in exactly the same way.
Which is why each person's care experience is so valuable to share and also why each person's view is as valid as the next.
It's all about sharing the unique knowledge we have. Each and every one of us are unique in what we do and we can help each other so much with what we have learnt.
Myrtle

Sort of 'walk a mile in my shoes' Paul.
But if we don't know of different ways different carers use to cope, then we could well miss out on knowing things that could help us, even if we couldn't do it in exactly the same way.
Which is why each person's care experience is so valuable to share and also why each person's view is as valid as the next

i totaly agree with that. however some just keep going back and saying the same thing with no idea of the persons caring role. or you get that you can work etc. so i cant see that that helps anyone
We can only share our own experience and hope that others can benefit from the positives of that experience.
how right you are myrtle freind.
Myrtle and Maxi,

Yes we do all share the same experience in a general sense, but until one experiences the final moments of end-of-life care, nobody can presume to have a deep understanding of what one goes through because it is unique to the individual . I can assure you that one's life experience certainly changes ones perspective there on and here after...
Ok that's not funny who removed Excalibur’s post we like to have a debate!!!! PS don't edit mods I have copied it!
Ok that's not funny who removed Excalibur’s post we like to have a debate!!!! PS don't edit mods I have copied it!
I deleted it myself, I was actually waxing a bit too philosophical for my own liking. I think the last time I expressed serious reservations about the value of "Life, The Universe, and Everything" the mods gave me a hard time because they thought that we needed to show respect for all that stuff. Look, I'm an anarchist, right? We dont take anything - or anyone - seriously, least of all ourselves!!
I would like to say that l cannot switch of this magic on off button to life when it comes to mum and all about mum and her care and quality of life.

I am and whereever l am cannot stop thinking is mum okay mum is now going to come and live fulltime with me again. We do fall out as to the nature of mums terminal illness and the crap legislation that due to my own illness cannot stay in the same house as mum.

Mum had bought this house for me give mum one to one care but was not allowed to live there. We would have lost money from both of us.

So l am in private rented property and l am paying or trying to pay my arrears of rent back from only my long term incapacity benefit.

Not easy getting back to the caring role 24/7 when mum was living with me permenatly over the last 20 years l would just about go out of my mind with worry does mum need this need that cuppa tea biscuit go to the loo or l hear a thud on the floor and like the other day fell backward. Cannot stop worrying. so you never switch off the 24/7 on/off button to caring
kenneth2now fife
What if, as in our case, your caree won't even contemplate being assisted by friends or neighbours (even good, close ones). He would feel totally embarassed by it.
It's one thing me having help getting wheelchair in and out of the car, as our niece and my children do, but totally another thing for them to actually help hubby physically. He just won't have it and refuses any help that they may offer (which is hardly ever anyway).

You may be lucky enough to have offers of help from friends and family, like, say Susie's sister, but what if mum didn't want Susie's sister to help and would only accept it from Susie? There's nothing that can be done and Susie would be completely stuck, despite the offer.
(I hope you don't mind me giving this example, SusieQ, but you see what I mean?).

We are stuck with 24/7 in one way or another, if not physically, then mentally - constantly.
103 posts