[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
My mum says her legs "just won't move" - any suggestions? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

My mum says her legs "just won't move" - any suggestions?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Having just returned today from seeing my specialist in London regarding a functional neurological disorder, a relatively new to be recognized set of disorders, please bring this class of disorders up with your mum's doctors. See fndhope.org for more information.
Dear Sunnydisposition and all, I had never heard of Functional Neurological Disorders or Functional Movement Disorder before I met with a registrar neurologist at Guy's and St. Thomas's hospital in London. I had come from the USA originally where I'd seen movement disorders specialists for parkinsonism.
Many thanks for all the helpful replies.
I'll talk to my mum and hope she agrees to see her G.P. again.
I'll definitely report back as to progress. :)
Dear Sunnydisposition, I'm very pleased that you found my post of interest and that you posted the full link! xxx
Thank you for all the replies and information.
Update: Unfortunately, despite my best attempts, my mum says she doesn't want to go down the route of seeing her GP for a referral to neurology. The hassle of getting to the relevant department at the hospital, waiting etc...
She said she will make another appointment to see the physiotherapist she has seen before, but the only option would be something private, where we would pay for her to see a specialist.
The question is, what type of specialist?
She lives in Northampton.
Many thanks for any guidance.
This is what my caree suffers from, orginally called a movement disorder but that's the long term name for it.
Just as the name describes, my caree has a lot of problems moving and no one seems to understand.
But yes this website is my caree 100% , the movement problems, the chronic pain-fibromyalgia, the bladder problems, the IBS.

So thank you for the link and the information
Good morning! You really do need a specialist, a neurologist and one specialising in movement disorders. The physiotherapist might possibly be of help but can't diagnose or medically treat any disorder. It may be hellish difficult to get to the doctor's surgery, but it would be worthwhile to know what is causing the problem and get a medical treatment plan in place.I

Does your mother's gp do home visits?
I expect the neurology department at Northampton General hospital would be a good place to start, via GP referral.
If this problem with mum is making caring for her much harder, then you need to make it clear that she DOES need to see someone if she wants you to continue caring for her! Otherwise she has to accept outside carers or a nursing home.

It CANNOT always be about what the caree does or doesn't want, because you cannot be forced to lift a finger for her.

Never forget a friend of mine who was caring for his poorly mum until she died at 104. Is this the future you want for yourself?!