[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pain relief medication for Alzheimer's last stage? - Carers UK Forum

pain relief medication for Alzheimer's last stage?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi everyone,

my grandfather is currently in the last stage of Alzheimer's disease. He does not talk and he is unable to move; however he can still eat his food.

I would like to ask whether there exists some kind of pain relief medication for this stage of dementia. I mean that my grandfather may feel pain or discomfort; however he is unable to express to this to others. What happens in this case? Is there some kind of medication to make this kind of patients feel a bit better for their remaining life?

Thanks in advance.
There are various options available, depending on the individual and their circumstances. Is your uncle at home, in residential care, or a hospital.
Can I suggest that you Google "End of Life Care". There are some really well written articles on what happens as the body gradually shuts down. They really helped me understand the way the body knows what it can cope with etc.
Hi John
If you are not already a member consider looking at the forum for the Alzheimers Society Talking Point. There will very probably be someone on there who is treading the same path as yourself.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/
Hi John,
My dad is very ill and in a hospice. They are really going to sort out the pain relief. Is your granddad at the stage when he could benefit from hospice care?
John, sometimes patients with dementia are put on something like Diazapam, which is a 'relaxant', both of muscles and of tension and anxiety. I would call it a 'mild' tranquilliser in so far as its effects - I've been on it myself at times and it 'takes off the edge' so you just don't worry about things. I'm not entirely sure if it works as a painkiller, but it would make you feel 'calmer' and that would surely help??

My MIL with dementia is on a low dosage. The only downside I believe is that it can relax muscles so much that in the elderly it can cause falls, but if your grandfather is now bedbound that may not be an issue anyway.
thanks everyone for his/her help