[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mum allegedly needs 24 hr care - Carers UK Forum

Mum allegedly needs 24 hr care

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I left employment to live with my mum, and provide care and companionship to her in the last phase of her life. Her GP admitted her to hospital during the recent heatwave, saying that she'd only be there for a short time. His prediction was incorrect and she's now been there over 5 weeks. The state how now imposed themselves on her life and I've been told that she needs 24 hr care in a residential home, for which she will need to finance as she was rejected for NHS Continuing Healthcare She no harm to herself or others and I believe that her needs are best met at home. Can I challenge the decision? Thanks so much in advance for any response(s)
Yes, you can. Only I'm feeling suspicious this morning.
CHC is wrongly being denied a number of people, or they don't apply because they've been told they won't get it.

Who told you she doesn't qualify for CHC?
Were YOU involved in her Checklist Assessment?
Have you been given a WRITTEN decsion that she doesn't qualify, from the CCCG?

Now some questions about her financial situation, and you.

Are you over 60?
Does mum own or rent her home?
Does she have over £23,000 in savings?
Do you have Power of Attorney?
Is mum mentally OK to give you POA if she hasn't done so already?
CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare ?

Full sp on the main CHC thread :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... inks-32532

Not eligible for CHC but may be so for NHS funded nursing care ?

Interesting web sites for problem solving :

1. Untruths ... lies ? ... usually encountered from the academics / suits.

2. Mistakes made in NHS CHC assessments ?

Appeals against CHC rulings ?

It's all in there.
What was mum admitted for?
Hi Keith
Bowlingbun is asking all the right questions, and her suspicions are often right.

Usually Social workers do everything they can to get that person home with paid carers coming in, because it is cheapest. Mostly people battle to get residential care so this does sound unusal

If it turns out that Mum will be fully self funding then she can choose where and how she is cared for. If she is going to be state funded then they get to say what and where

The exception is if she needs NHS continuing care which is free to all, except they don't like granting it often

It's complex, hence all the questions

Do also think very very hard about caring at home, it's honourable and loving, but exceedingly hard work and can go on and on and on and on.
Do have a read of other threads and learn of other peoples experiences, it's quite eye opening

Oh, and welcome :)
Kr
MrsA
MrsAverage wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:38 pm
Hi Keith
Bowlingbun is asking all the right questions, and her suspicions are often right.

Usually Social workers do everything they can to get that person home with paid carers coming in, because it is cheapest. Mostly people battle to get residential care so this does sound unusal

If it turns out that Mum will be fully self funding then she can choose where and how she is cared for. If she is going to be state funded then they get to say what and where

The exception is if she needs NHS continuing care which is free to all, except they don't like granting it often

It's complex, hence all the questions

Do also think very very hard about caring at home, it's honourable and loving, but exceedingly hard work and can go on and on and on and on.
Do have a read of other threads and learn of other peoples experiences, it's quite eye opening

Oh, and welcome :)
Kr
MrsA
Hello Mrs Above Average,

Thanks for your welcome - so good of you to respond to my post. Sorry for the delay replying, I don't have internet at home.

Her social worker told me (after she'd spent 5 wks in hospital) that she needed 24 hr care and couldn't rejoin me at home, presumably because she has dementia. I'm expected to quickly find her a home at her expense (as she has capital in excess of 100k), and if I don't agree with the decision a "best interests" decision will be made on her behalf.

I take your point about caring for her myself. I thankfully have been doing so for some time now, and being accustomed to the challenge, am happy for the status quo to prevail. I prefer it to her regressing to a vegetative state in some exorbitant, hateful "care" home.

I need to know if the decision to prevent her from returning to home is legal.

I most grateful for your interest in my plight.

Keith
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:15 pm
What was mum admitted for?
Hello Bowlingbun,

I'm most grateful to you for replying to my post.

I wasn't told why she was admitted. She has mild dementia and a tremor, characterised by shaking hands, which hadn't been investigated. I sent more information to Mrs Average.

I can't write more - I'm using a library internet connection as I don't have that luxury at home.

I appreciate your interest.

All the best to you.

Keith
Hello Keith
I'm so sorry to hear of your plight. My lovely husband is in a nursing home because of strokes and vascular dementia. I really didn't have any choice as his needs a are definitely complex.His safety and needs are his needs not mine or my family's wants. Big difference.
Not all care and nursing homes are hateful. The one my husband is in are very caring and do look after him well. Yes we definitely have to be care managers, any issue is dealt with by us promptly, ( my daughter's are daddy's girls!) No, it's not like home which he has forgotten about, his white tees are not as white as I like, but I no longer fret about those trivialities, as long as he is cared for in the manner he deserves. There have been issue. No denying. No where is perfect
So whilst I understand and definitely admire you for the love and care you give to your mother, if it should come to her needing a nursing home, have an open mind, do lots of research, visit unexpectedly, especially at meal times.
I do hope it doesn't have to come to that, am just pointing out it needn't be hateful.
Hi Keith,

As mum has plenty of savings, then there is no question of Social Services paying either for care at home or in a nursing home.
If she wants to come home, and you want her home, have her at home.
However, I would suggest that it would be a VERY good idea to have some additional help, either to help you with housework, or hands on care, so that you can also look after yourself. We all have appointments away from home, hairdresser, doctor etc. so if mum gets used to have someone other than you at home, who you can trust, then it would help you and her, and you can tell the SW that everything is in order. It is also appropriate for mum to pay you for the care you provide, the going rate in my area is about £15 an hour, so don't ignore this, or you might be left with absolutely nothing. £102,000 is just two years of nursing care in the average nursing home.
Even with a modest payment from mum, you should then invest in getting broadband fitted at home, so you don't feel isolated when mum is settled back where she belongs.
Care at home can come in various guises. I have a friend who, through an agency, has a live in Carer for her father there 247 but each carer is there for 4 weeks, then has 4 weeks off. That way they become familiar and responsible, they are not just swanning in and out

I'm not saying this would work for you Keith, just to demonstrate that being self funding Mum can have what she wants and needs.
Btw if SS are already mentioing 'best interests' it would be good to show you are setting up soemething with outside help. It sounds like they know its going to deteriorate and no one, not even you, can cope 24/7 alone with a dementia sufferer
Also if you have some to help with the drudge tasks, that will leave you more quality time to spend with Mum