[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mother who met PM asks to put disabled daughter into care - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Mother who met PM asks to put disabled daughter into care

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
110 posts
Often,when some social issue is headline,Polly Toynbee is sought for a coment.

Peter Hitchins and Malanie Philips are also often asked to bite a sound moment.

I think CUK is right to make its views known on this day.Its not cynicle,in my view,to put the cuk statement out now.If not Today,on this issue,When?.

I think it was quite right to do so.Any charity which sees an issue which embraces why its in being,must deploy its press officer.Issue a statement.
charles i am not saying that anyone should hijack her coverage in anyway. however it could have been better put and just impiles that it is just those with children that need help. i hope she gets more help but we have to remember and get accross that it is not just those with children who need help.
Absolutely, Paul - I understand. The danger is though that if CUK tried to broaden the message outside of Ms Vincent's message, they would be seen as hijacking. That's why it's such a difficult balancing act. Always tough to get it right.
I think it is right to focus on the issue to hand.Responding to THAT issue is for today,in my view.
In-truth,we can relate to it more as its not abstract.Its A REAL FAMILY.Their plight is the point.
Unfortunately, I think Alan Johnson has now successfully hijacked the headlines.
Mr.Johnson has indeed become poll topper on the news ladder,for now.Are we Surprised?.
charles i am not saying that anyone should hijack her coverage in anyway. however it could have been better put and just impiles that it is just those with children that need help. i hope she gets more help but we have to remember and get accross that it is not just those with children who need help.
Absolutely, Paul - I understand. The danger is though that if CUK tried to broaden the message outside of Ms Vincent's message, they would be seen as hijacking. That's why it's such a difficult balancing act. Always tough to get it right.
it is hard to get the balance right more so at short notice. however there could have said this is just the one of the many carers who care.
Ms Vincent must be feeling overwhelmed, I imagine, mainly by all that she has coped with all these years, and by what must have been a terribly difficult statement to make re a request to place her dear child into residential care. She should never have been put into the situation of feeling that this is the only option left to her and her family.
Now, her family is at the centre of much attention. The Prime Minister himself (!) is taking an interest, and her local authority have arranged a meeting, very quickly, to discuss the situation, despite having said that there is no more help available. They are at pains to emphasise that the respite hours had not been reduced. Well obviously, we know that. It was actually about increasing them so that this family could survive.
David Cameron says that he understands what it feels like to be a parent of a disabled child. Of course he does, and the loss of that child is tragic and sad and dreadful without doubt.
What I believe he doesn't understand is what it feels like to care for a child, or indeed, any family member with an impairment, when money is an issue. If we all had enough money, we could do so much more to make our lives something like normal. This is what he, and others in his government, fail to understand.
Now, the public in general, the majority of whom have no understanding of what it is like to be in this situation, will have a glimpse, an idea of how our lives are. In the light of the impending reforms to disability benefits etc, I hope this enlightenment will continue. Perhaps the Press in general will give rather more coverage to our plight than they have so far.
OK,as one who written more than my fair share of em,I must say,and it will sound bad,to get a line in the media,you have to catch hold of THE STORY,Grab the moment,run with it.

THE STORY IS this CHILD,THIS family.The media want a responce to THAT.NOT some abstract statsistic about carers in general.

To get a piece printed,much less,get a tv slot on SKY,The Beeb etc,like any other candidate Cuk must deliver on this moment.

This IS a human interest CARER-FOCUSSED issue.

OK,Im not caring for a child,But on three levels I back CUK in the content of its release.

1.It responds to what newsfeeds want today.THIS ISSUE,THIS FAMILY,THEIR CASE.

2.The wider CHILD-CARE funding issues relates to todays issue,so its relevent.Its THAT issue the news gathers are focussing on TODAY,and its all about TODAY.

3.It raises CUK to national media profile TODAY.ON THIS TOPIC.HUMANISES the Caring issue.

I dont think CUK would get any thanks for responding with stats,or remarks like "There are many other age groups caring and being cared for" or that sort of rhetoric.It can seem just out of touch not answering TODAYS agenda,which we must stay on to be heard.

In a crowded media a slick,well aimed,spot-on press release is what had to be issued.

Im going to say to you that,in my case,working for a national animal welfare charity,to be heard,in the crowded media,a topical issue,like,for example the woman who put that cat in a wheel bin,enables us to issue a specific responce to THAT human interest,of the day topic.

It raises our profile.

THATS the bottom lineengineered right,its a good day today for the CUK image.

Showing CUK cares about THIS one FAMILY,its issues,so,for ALL similar families.

Point made.Profile raised.

A CARERS ISSUE,A CARERS CHARITY RESPONDING,in the news today!.

THATS GOOD,isnt it?
Elisha, thank you. You are absolutely right:
She should never have been put into the situation of feeling that this is the only option left to her and her family.
The council's response actually makes the situation totally clear. They don't have a clue. The stress you could cope with a year ago isn't necessarily as easy to handle now]just the same as having a cut[/i].
The main reason i have been missing for awhile, is we are looking at doing the same as this lady is, there comes a time when you have to say, enough is enough, its horrible and makes you feel sick at the thought of what you are contemplating. We are at a time now when councils will try and point score, saying its not our fault its the goverments. Some will say, they would rather keep service a, and take money from respite etc, because, there votes are in that sector. We have thought long and hard about the decisions we are having to make, and even though it is slowly killing us, we still cannot make the decision. Unfortunatly, we know sometime in the next few months, the decision will be made for us. My heart goes out to that lady, i know what she is going through, and what it must be doing to her, Nobody wants to be in her position, unfortunatly a lot more will be over the coming months, funny how the council suddenly have a meeting with her, without the press and statements from CUK and other organisations, they would of just said tough, get on with it. What a sad sad world, when someone has to resort to this just to get a bit of help.
110 posts