[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
abuse of the mentally ill - Carers UK Forum

abuse of the mentally ill

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The person I have cared for many years has been admitted to a mental hospital for the past few weeks because she had a breakdown.And of course her health has deteriorated because of the way she is treated in hospital.first of all they let her walk around the wards for three whole days and nights with no sleep whatsoever with no medication.When I asked the staff to explain why this was allowed to happen,I was informed that my friend refused to take her medication and she got so ill they had to section her for her own good ! They could have contacted me her carer of 17 years and I could have got this lady to take her medication in 5 seconds flat!
But they didnt do this much better to allow the patient to deteoritate and section them that way they can force them to do what they want!My friend had all her money stolen on the ward ,she was in a panic and was worried about her children,so she had no money for the payphone,so asked the staff could she use the office phone,and instead of letting her phone up for reassurance and calm they refused to allow her to.My friend in her panic made a grab for the phone the next thing is she was grabbed round the neck pulled to the ground and dragged along the corridor,this of course is abuse of a mentally ill patient,by a sheer bit of luck.A patient who was on the ward and who is quite compis mentis approached me and confirmed my friends version of events,when I questioned the staff involved in this incident of course they denied everything!and said my friend had hit one of them of course I know this to be untrue she has never hit anyone in her life,and at the age of 47 she is not going to suddenly change!I dread to think the abuse that might be happening to mental patients on lock up wards poor people who have nobody to fight their corner,I just wonder if any other carers of mentally ill patients out there have a similar story to tell
My friend in her panic made a grab for the phone the next thing is she was grabbed round the neck pulled to the ground and dragged along the corridor,
Thats horrible and completely unjustified. A formal complaint to the Hospital Managers is obligatory in these circumstances, and in case they try to palm you off, copy the letter to the mental health act commission.
This is dreadful. I am appalled.
There is still much dogma surrounding this lable, and fear. Unfortunately its only the worst things about it we hear in the news. All due to lack of education in gen public.
Many very gentle people suffer greatly in silence with some form of mental illness.
Its so sad that paid care staff training seems to put everyone with this diagnoses in the worst case scenario.