[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Disabled parking bay problem - Carers UK Forum

Disabled parking bay problem

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I applied for, and was given, a disabled parking bay outside our house for my grandson, who is nine and has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. When his legs are tired, or the weather is bad, it can be really difficult transporting him from the car to the house, especially with shopping bags, etc.
When the disabled bay was installed, my neighbour, who had previously been refused a disabled parking bay outside her house, due to the position of her house on a bad corner, was informed that she (or any other Blue Badge holder) could use the one outside my house. (I checked with Capability Scotland and I know this is true, in accordance with the regulations.) My neighbour agreed, in a sort of 'gentleman's agreement', when I explained our situation to her, that she wouldn't use the space, but seems to have changed her mind now and has begun to use it, which creates great difficulty for us.
I have drafted a letter to send to the council suggesting that they might extend the double yellow lines or extend the disabled bay so that we could both have a place to park on what is a very busy road, but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem, or been able to find a solution. Any advice would be extremely welcome and appreciated.
I am afraid its true, anyone with a disabled badge can use the space. It used to happen to me all the time as I live in sheltered housing & there are quite a few badge holders! Also, its true you can be refused a parking space if the highways department decide there is not a safe place to put it. I used to have a space right outside my home until a large supermarket applied to build s store in town & they said that my parking space was right where they wanted to put one of the entrances to their car park. So its disabled parking space versus massive supermarket chain & I bet you can guess who won? So I did get a replacement parking space some distance away from my home. Its very well used, but not by me because its too far away for me to reach. Unless they relent & give your neighbour a space too, I am afraid she has as much right to use it as you have. Strange but true. Hope they manage to help you.
My late brother in law had a similar problem and the local authority added his house number to the parking bay and made the box yellow instead of white. This makes it enforceable rather than discretionary apparently (Scotland). It is funny now passing his old house with the bay still there four years after he died.....nobody uses it!xx
I have the same problem but my daughters parking space is white so you don't even need a blue badge to park in it which is frustrating at times.
We had similar problems years ago at mams house. Only way we got round it was getting permission to make a standing in her front garden with dropped access to the road. This way she was able to park okay, plus noone was allowed to park across her access bit. She did have to pay to get it done herself but men in the family did most of the donkey work.
Not sure if this would be suitable for yourselves.

Other than that maybe you could come to some arrangements with your neighbour. She leaves it free for your use at certain times of the day. Better for all if amicable arrangements can be found.

x x
Hi i wondered about getting disabled bays painted outside my house and the neighbours either side(they too are elderly and in receipt of appropriate benefits" and there were several disadvantages to it ,one being that it apparently is not enforceable should a non-disabled driver decide to use it "apparently"?
It is only enforceable if it is painted blue but then anyone with a blue badge can park in it.If it is white like mine any fecker can park in it.
We have a parking space outside our front door (when I say outside I mean about 2 foot in front of the door. We also have a car port (the housing association charge us for this in our rent) but our van is too big to go in there so we park the small car my father in law gave us years ago in there. We use the wee car when we go out without Rob (unless I am taking my scooter when we use the van). Anyway to get to the point. Years ago we had a young lad from the ex council houses across the street park his 4x4 in our carport so that when my hubby came home from work he couldn't get parked. I had to chap on the guys door and ask him not to park there and I got told but its empty during the day and my car might get scratched if I park in the space outside my house!!! This despite the fact we actually pay for the carport! I had to end up contacting the police to get it stopped.

Eun
We have a parking space outside our front door (when I say outside I mean about 2 foot in front of the door. We also have a car port (the housing association charge us for this in our rent) but our van is too big to go in there so we park the small car my father in law gave us years ago in there. We use the wee car when we go out without Rob (unless I am taking my scooter when we use the van). Anyway to get to the point. Years ago we had a young lad from the ex council houses across the street park his 4x4 in our carport so that when my hubby came home from work he couldn't get parked. I had to chap on the guys door and ask him not to park there and I got told but its empty during the day and my car might get scratched if I park in the space outside my house!!! This despite the fact we actually pay for the carport! I had to end up contacting the police to get it stopped.

Eun
I think his car would have definitely got scratched if he had done that to me!Jesus what a nerve!