[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Maybe Im Getting old.... - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Maybe Im Getting old....

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Sorry, Excalibur, I didn't explain that very well. I didn't mean it literally said "Christian Name " and "Surname". It did have their actual names in there. It is pretty late so excuse my poor description - must go to bed!
Sorry, Excalibur, I didn't explain that very well. I didn't mean it literally said "Christian Name " and "Surname". It did have their actual names in there. It is pretty late so excuse my poor description - must go to bed!
No, I got that perfectly ellcee: it is gobsmackingly funny and shows, if nothing else, that we are the real professionals, whilst the paper pushers dont know their ar$e from their elb&ws..
in our so-called classless society.we call our MPs,"Honorble Member"Our Ministers "rt.Hon"
Our Noble Peers,Lords etc.

Then theres the Knights,Dames,CBEs,OBEs etc.

We do all that,yet, addressing a person as "Mr" "Mrs" "Miss" or "Ms" seems a dying concept.
The "Buddy" culture is so false.
I find it all so wrong that job centres have to have security staff nowdays! Sign of the times with people kicking off I expect.

I did a stint working temporary in our local job centre and loved it, I was on the frontline desk and was heartbroken when the contract came to an end, they found me a permanant job in the Bradford job centre, I lasted 2 months there, hated it, I was scared half the time as there was always someone kicking off, we got tramps in, druggies etc etc and no security staff in those days we had to deal with it all.
I worked in the dole office, not a Job Centre, in the early 80's and we had queues of people waiting to sign on, going out of the building, down the street and round the corner.
We didn't have any protection and generally people were really nice to us and us to them. However, we had one guy working in our office (the only bloke) who was particularly condescending towards the claimants. One day, this guy was in full flow to this claimant who suddenly decided that he'd had enough of being called 'sir' and threw a chair at our bloke. Police called etc etc, but no charges made by our bloke, he only got a bruised arm luckily.

After that, the dole office had a perspex screen put up all along the long signing on counter and things were never the same. It felt as if we didn't trust the people coming in and they, in turn, grew suspicious of US and were never quite as friendly as before - we hated this screen.

The guy who threw the chair? He still came in to sign on, and apologised to all of us for being so angry that day and for being responsible for us having this screen. He was genuinely sorry, being called 'sir' continuously just compounded his state of unemployment and he'd had enough. He even bought the whole office (about 12 of us) little bunches of flowers for all us women to say sorry. Don't know where or how he got them, but still, it was a genuine gesture of apology. Our office guy and he, even shook hands in the end too - under the screen.
Personally, i dont like being called Madam ..
I don't care what you call me - only don't call me late for dinner Image Image
certainly the years have seen a marked decline in overall respect in these centres.While,I find the staff at our one excellent people,kind,all that,I cannot say thats true everywhere,as it is with all things in life.

But there really are some pretty mindless specimins in these centres,customers.some can bearly form words,more grunts,ive seen this,hence the need for security guards.now these guards are on low pay,and,as we all know,pay peanuts,you get....well,you get chaps who greet you with the hail: "Card Mate!".sorry state of affairs.
Another way to look at it is that these people may not have had the same opportunities in life which some of us have enjoyed Image .
For what it's worth (FWIW), there were security guards in jobcentres and DHSS offices way back in the 1980s, even in the home counties, so it's not a recent thing.

Neither in my experience (IME) is the bad attitude of staff be they security guards or clerks (aka claimant advisers).

To be fair, most of the time the jobcentre staff and security guard there were polite enough (neither using "mate/luv" nor "sir/madam"), but not the ones at the DHSS. Image The few times I had to enter that office it was as if everyone working there had decided to treat everyone who came in like criminals or tramps - even people dressed respectably, behaving politely, and clearly around pension age were treated rudely from beginning to end.
Another way too look at is that these people may not have had the same opportunities in life which some of us have enjoyed Image .
You're probably right.

In this part of London at least, security guards, traffic enforcement people, and people working for the DWP don't get a lot of sympathy or respect. It's because a lot of the people doing those jobs seem to become arrogant overnight and don't even try to hide their glee in wielding the little bit of power they have over people from the same background.

One of the very worst was a security guard at the housing office of the Town Hall. He had the job of watching the door, stopping people becoming too disorderly (given that they had to queue for over 2 hours without water, seating, or a loo, this was to be expected)and to direct them into the right queue. So there I was for the first time, with a sheaf of papers, the HB form the CTB form, clean and decently dressed. There were 7 long queues, with no labelling, so I politely asked the security guard which one to use - "GET IN DE QUEUE" was boomed at me from all of 6'6" up, Yes, but which one? No help forthcoming, I picked one at random and waited. 90 mins later, about to be served?

Wrong. The clerk took one glance at what I was holding and was extremely rude about my not knowing which queue I should've been in. I in return was as rude as I could get without swearing or making threats - seeing as leaving a v sick person unattended just to get the forms done, then still being faced with yet another long wait wasn't my idea of a good day's work! Anyway, the clerk sneered, pointed out which counter I needed.... and hour later it was done, or so I thought. the claims got lost, delayed to the point of threatening the bailiffs... etc. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. IMHO and IME Lambeth excels when it comes to snotty attitude and incompetence.