[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers will be able to earn more money -Carers UK Forum

Carers will be able to earn more money

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
This one just came through.Need go pick daughter up though.Will add more later.

Carers will be able to earn more money without losing their benefits, Work and Pensions Secretary Peter Hain has announced.

From 1 October 2007, the maximum amount of money that carers in Great Britain will be allowed to earn without losing their entitlement to Carer's Allowance (CA) will rise from £87 to £95 a week, after expenses such as income tax and national insurance contributions have been taken into account.

Peter Hain said:

"Carers play a vital role in our communities, providing invaluable help and support for their loved ones. It is right that where we can offer further support we do so.

"The higher weekly limit of £95 means that more carers will be able to keep their Carer's Allowance if they earn more money. And it means that more carers will now be able to receive Carer's Allowance for the first time.

"Together with next April's normal increase in Carer's Allowance, carers should be able to receive more than £7,500 a year combined."

The increase in the earnings limit is an interim measure ahead of the government's forthcoming review of the National Carers Strategy. The strategy will look at how CA could be reformed to meet today's needs more effectively.

Carers who employ someone to look after a disabled person or a child aged under 16 while they are at work will continue to be entitled to the allowance while earning significantly more than the normal limit.
Rosemary your daughter`s job ok? young STAN his g/friend just had baby is worried about n/rock job.

it`s good news to be able to work for a bit extra cash but its not all that much more and its the old argument if you are the only carer how can you get out to work its ok for people who share care or who`s relatives can stay at day centre or something like that as long as you dont have to pay for extra care.

george

ARBEIT MACH FREI
Great if you can go out to work but what about those of us who can't - this is about as much use to me as a chocolate teapot Image

Paula xx
Won't make any difference to most carers - even those on Carers Allowance. Most are on Income Support and the £20 limit won't change, you can bet on it.
next thing they will say you are able to work there for you cant be a carer.
wont be any use to me i cant leave my caree on her owh. Image Image
As usual this news means nothing to 24/7 carers, the government never talks about 24/7 carers, i wonder why? also why does carersuk always have to sound so pleased when the government makes an announcement like this, it is just a slight of hand trick by the government, try to a bit angry sometimes please carersuk.

Tony Image Image
Any improvement - no matter how small- needs to be welcomed...but I agree that Carers Uk should have pointed out how limited the result would be for carers, and that the government has a greater responsibility toward carers than it is fulfilling.

After all, the focus of Carers UK is on Real Change, not Short Change...this was an opportunity missed, I fear.
This is just another kick in the teeth for 24/7 carers its like them saying to us--"look how much you could earn if your caree hadn't been silly and got so bad as to need constant care--you'll just have to make do with the Carers Allowance--Oh no- of course you did another silly thing and lived to be 65-- you can''t have Carers Allowance either--TOUGH!!!
Great if you can go out to work but what about those of us who can't - this is about as much use to me as a chocolate teapot Image

Paula xx
I so agree, Paula, this is only good if you CAN get out and work.....although a choclate teapot would be nice....at least you can eat it......all by yourself Image
whats needed is a realisic amount of financial and other support not some false 'help'
how many carers can get out to work and to be perfectly honest as most carers 'work 24/7 why the hell should we have to work to support us when where already doing an exhausting job day to day saving the goverment millions