[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Summit debates - Carers UK Forum

Summit debates

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
We've had very little response from the forum this year to the debates for our national summit in November. Last year we had a lot of contributions but not so this year. Can I remind you all that we have this area of the forum and would love to hear what you think on these topics

Debate #1: Paying carers using direct payments
Debate #2: Greater support to administer direct payments
Debate #3: Review of care and support
Debate #4: Cuts in local services
Debate #5: Removal of carers' benefits
Debate #6: Cost of caring
Debate #7: Support for working carers
Debate #8: Financial support

The link is http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewforum.php?f=36
why debate the above when we all know full well the government will not listen to a thing we say we have made a rod for our own backs by just talking, talking, talking one minute its increase the carers allowance then its a two tier system then its J.S.A for carers on I.S. now its direct payments for carersremoval of carers benefits support for working carers financial support ive got no idea if iam coming or going iam going mad weare just going round and round in circles just what is it that carers uk want ? Image Image Image Image
George, it's not about the government.

It's about Carers UK, and about us carers. If we don't tell them what our priorities are they can't campaign effectively and with the knowledge that carers agree with them.

There are enough naysayers out there who complain that CUK don't listen: if we don't tell CUK, they can't listen, can they?
It's about Carers UK, and about us carers.
I think I'm banned from commenting as I am planning to attend this year. I'm sure some folk will be delighted to hear that! Who else is coming? Image
why debate the above when we all know full well the government will not listen to a thing we say
Well they sure wont listen to the things we don't say George, so its worth a gamble! That said, I do think the composited motions are very bland: there was a lot to be said for the old fashioned "fighting" motions, (Bradford Branch always threw in a couple of real crackers) even if you knew fine well the boring Board of Trustees would oppose them as impractical, it got folk talking. We need to beware the creeping corporatism that is becoming evident.... an AGM without a good row is a very boring affair.... Image

And the atmosphere was another reason why I preferred the good old fashioned Methodist hall in Westminster to that dreadful and intimidating marble-clad tacky high rise monument to corporate greed in the Docklands...

Last time we had the AGM in Westminster I nipped out for a quick fag and bumped into Ken Livingstone...!!
Well they sure wont listen to the things we don't say George, so its worth a gamble!
Too true. And carers should be the ones to tell CUK what their message is.
And the atmosphere was another reason why I preferred the good old fashioned Methodist hall in Westminster to that dreadful and intimidating marble-clad tacky high rise monument to corporate greed in the Docklands...

Last time we had the AGM in Westminster I nipped out for a quick fag and bumped into Ken Livingstone...!!
While I agree that the Docklands building is awful, it at least costs CUK nothing to use it. And there's no chance of bumping into Ken...that's two good things to say about it! Although I suppose there's always the chance of bumping into Boris... Image